The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 7, 2020 2:39 pm  #1

How One Woman's 1960s Flirtation Inspired A Classic 60s Tune

I'm always amazed what you can learn about a song you've been hearing for years. 

Everyone knows the story about Patti Boyd, who was infamously involved with first George Harrison and then Eric Clapton. She was the inspiration for both "Something" by the "quiet Beatle" and "Layla" by the guitar icon. 

What I never knew is that Patti had a sister named Jennifer, who did some modelling, was later married twice to Mick Fleetwood and also worked for the Fab Four's Apple label. That's where she met Donovan Leitch, who wrote a song for her, too. Its name? "Jennifer Juniper." 

Apparently there wasn't much to their relationship, but the fact that the woman who inspired two of rock's greatest classics had a sister whose presence led to yet another memorable tune is something I never knew before. Perhaps I'm the only one who didn't realize that. But I do know that next time I hear that rarely played song, it will be the first thing I think of.

Jennifer Boyd: 'It's not what you think': behind the star-studded life of a rock star's wife  

Last edited by aflem (April 7, 2020 2:40 pm)

April 7, 2020 3:48 pm  #2

Re: How One Woman's 1960s Flirtation Inspired A Classic 60s Tune

Didn't know that. Thanks!

April 8, 2020 6:03 am  #3

aflem wrote:

. . . something I never knew before. Perhaps I'm the only one who didn't realize that.

That makes three of us 

April 8, 2020 6:32 am  #4

aflem wrote:

I'm always amazed what you can learn about a song you've been hearing for years. 

Everyone knows the story about Patti Boyd, who was infamously involved with first George Harrison and then Eric Clapton. She was the inspiration for both "Something" by the "quiet Beatle" and "Layla" by the guitar icon. 

What I never knew is that Patti had a sister named Jennifer, who did some modelling, was later married twice to Mick Fleetwood and also worked for the Fab Four's Apple label. That's where she met Donovan Leitch, who wrote a song for her, too. Its name? "Jennifer Juniper." 

interesting, indeed. but it should be noted that mick fleetwood's apparent perspective in regard to his relationship with women has been well known, and documented, for multiple decades.

Apparently there wasn't much to their relationship, but the fact that the woman who inspired two of rock's greatest classics had a sister whose presence led to yet another memorable tune is something I never knew before. Perhaps I'm the only one who didn't realize that. But I do know that next time I hear that rarely played song, it will be the first thing I think of.

Jennifer Boyd: 'It's not what you think': behind the star-studded life of a rock star's wife  

Last edited by gopher (April 8, 2020 6:39 am)

April 8, 2020 6:57 am  #5

Another tidbit:

"Dear Prudence" by the Beatles was written about Mia Farrow's sister, Prudence.  When the Beatles and company were with the Maharishi in India, Prudence was so dedicated to the meditation that she would stay in her room for hours.  They used to go by her door and call her name to come out.  This inspired John to write the song.

April 8, 2020 9:07 am  #6

aflem wrote:

And here I thought when I read the subject of the thread, it would be the story behind Nothing But A Heartache.

April 8, 2020 10:26 am  #7

April 8, 2020 6:51 pm  #8

Thanks for that...they look fantastic. I'll have to check out their new stuff. I always thought 'Nothing But A Heartache" and 'Love Power' by the Sand Pebbles were two of the best R & B songs of the time, but they seem to have been forgotten by most. Thank goodness for my IPod. 

April 8, 2020 7:49 pm  #9

and all these years I thought "Dear Prudence" was about John's dog. I heard that back in the 70's

April 9, 2020 7:44 am  #10

Roman wrote:

Thanks for that...they look fantastic. I'll have to check out their new stuff. I always thought 'Nothing But A Heartache" and 'Love Power' by the Sand Pebbles were two of the best R & B songs of the time, but they seem to have been forgotten by most. Thank goodness for my IPod. 

I can't figure out why "Nothing But A Heartache" has been buried in the past.  A fantastic song.  It is one of four 45s that were my first buys ever.

April 9, 2020 8:19 am  #11

I completely agree that Nothing But A Heartache is a great song. I think that the problem is that it only reached #34 on Billboard, and most radio stations are only willing to play bigger hits from the past. I was very surprised years ago when I found out that it hadn't charted higher on Billboard, because it reached #4 here in Toronto on CHUM. However, Wikipedia mentions that it had a 14-week run on Billboard, and that this was unusual for a song that fell short of their top 30. What that suggests to me is that the song broke at different times in different markets ... I'm saying this because I have read about this issue with other songs that had a lengthy chart run but with a peak position that wasn't that high.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothing_but_a_Heartache

Board footera