The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 11, 2020 6:21 pm  #1

Dylan's Murder Most Foul is his own first-ever #1 on a Billboard chart

After churning out songs for decades in a music career that has cemented him as a icon in American culture, 78-year-old Bob Dylan has achieved his first No. 1 song on any Billboard chart -- with a 17-minute long song about a famous assassination.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/bob-dylan-s-murder-most-foul-is-his-own-first-ever-no-1-on-a-billboard-chart-1.4891421

April 12, 2020 9:49 am  #2

Re: Dylan's Murder Most Foul is his own first-ever #1 on a Billboard chart

According to Billboard, the song presents an unusual challenge for some commercial radio stations - who can play a 17 minute long tune?

How Does Radio Play Bob Dylan's 17-Minute New Song 'Murder Most Foul'?

April 12, 2020 10:34 am  #3

I had to check, looks like Iron Butterfly’s- In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida long version beats it in length by 6 seconds.

I read the lyrics and noticed the song mentions the Beatles.  I always thought the JFK assassination helped with the Beatles popularity, people looking for some sort of diversion to help them over the shock and pain.

I was in high school when the assassination took place.  It was a nasty rainy day here in KC, the English teacher said she didn’t feel like teaching that morning and assigned us to write a paper.  This was hours before the assassination.  I wrote about how nasty the weather was and how it just made me believe something ominous and of significant  was to happen that day.  We never got those papers back.

Later that afternoon, a couple buddies and I got out of shop class by claiming we needed to get some parts.  We heard about it on the radio and by that time, JFK had been pronounced dead.  Nobody would believe us.  When my 6th hour class began the teacher was not there, she had been in the lounge listening to the radio and later confirmed my story.

April 13, 2020 6:49 am  #4

Wow.  I just listened to the song.  Wow.

April 15, 2020 5:21 pm  #5

I just listened to it for the second time.  I caught things I didn't the first time.  The whole song is a mystery of sorts...the music, songs and people mentioned make some kind of puzzle.  This verse about the Beatles confuses me. I'm not sure if Dylan is insinuating that the Beatles came over purposely to take advantage of the situation, as in going for the throat..  And who are the three bums dressed in rags?  All in all, it's a haunting, well versed piece of prose.  I really like it.

"Hush, little children, you'll understand
The Beatles are comin', they're gonna hold your hand
Slide down the banister, go get your coat
Ferry 'cross the Mersey and go for the throat
There's three bums comin' all dressed in rags

April 16, 2020 9:04 am  #6

It's me Karen wrote:

I just listened to it for the second time.  I caught things I didn't the first time.  The whole song is a mystery of sorts...the music, songs and people mentioned make some kind of puzzle.  This verse about the Beatles confuses me. I'm not sure if Dylan is insinuating that the Beatles came over purposely to take advantage of the situation, as in going for the throat..  And who are the three bums dressed in rags?  All in all, it's a haunting, well versed piece of prose.  I really like it.

I searched the three bums and apparently it has something to do with three tramps that were shown in the Zapruder Kennedy assassination film, who were thought to be part of the conspiracy theory. Here's some stuff on them in Wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_tramps

Last edited by Roman (April 16, 2020 9:06 am)

April 16, 2020 9:11 am  #7

Roman wrote:

It's me Karen wrote:

I searched the three bums and apparently it has something to do with three tramps that were shown in the Zapruder Kennedy assassination film, who were thought to be part of the conspiracy theory. Here's some stuff on them in Wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_tramps

Oh wow.  Thanks Roman.  

April 16, 2020 1:44 pm  #8

Thanks Roman - that IS INTERESTING.  Those people who are still suspicious with a gazillion conspiracy theories, with the in-depth investigations that were done, should be able tor rest easy if they were aware of the level of investigations.

Board footera