The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 29, 2020 5:13 pm  #1

How to post pictures?

I know, I know... I'm awfully 'thick' when it comes to computer stuff. And Aflem has assisted me in the past, but I still can't figure out how to post a picture here. 

Can someone please explain, in simple terms, understandable to an old Luddite like me (if that's even possible), how to go about posting a photo from my personal pictures folder?

I've been going through my pictures files and found one very special one that I'm sure would be of interest to folks here.

Thanks in advance

Earl

April 29, 2020 7:31 pm  #2

Re: How to post pictures?

It’s not as hard as you think. If I can figure it out, believe me, anyone can! And to prove it, I’ll use the very pictures I uploaded to demonstrate.

There are two possible scenarios:

1) You want to put up a pic that’s already posted on another site

OR

2) You’re uploading pictures from your own machine for use on this site. That one’s a bit more complicated. Either way, here’s how to do it.

Scenario 1 – Getting an existing online pic to appear

a) You’ve found a .gif or a .jpg on another site and want to post it here. Go to that site, find the pic and right click on it. Depending on which browser you’re using, a menu will come up that reads “copy link location.” 

b) Go to the Oldies site, create a message as you usually do, and then hit the blue square in the compose window.

c) That brings up a dialogue box. 

d) Simply hit “Control V” (or paste if you prefer) to enter the link location. Then hit “OK.”

e) Pic should appear in the window. You can add text before or after it if you want. Hit either preview to see if it’s OK or if you’re happy, “Submit.” Done!

Scenario 2  -Uploading a picture from your own PC

a) Go to https://imgbb.com/. This is a page where jpgs or gifs can be uploaded for free, no sign in required.

b) Find the image you want on your computer whether it be in a folder or on your desktop.

c) Using your mouse or clickpad, highlight the pic you want and drag it to the browser that has the Imgbb.com page open. It will appear there in thumbnail form ready to be uploaded. 

d) Hit the green “Upload” button on the page and the site will begin the very quick process of uploading the pic to its servers. 

e) Once that’s done, you’ll see a menu at the bottom and some computer code. Make sure the menu says “BBCode full linked.” If it doesn’t, use the drop down menu to find it.

f) You’re almost done! Copy that code that starts with url and ends with /url and paste that code right into the Oldies message compose browser window.

g) Hit either preview to check that it worked or Submit to upload it to the world!

That’s it! You’re done! And it works the same way every time! Good luck. Looking forward to seeing what you put up.

April 29, 2020 11:34 pm  #3

[img][/img]This pic definitely wasn't taken yesterday... Spring of 1972, Inuvik, Northwest Territories.

Last edited by Cloud9 (April 29, 2020 11:38 pm)

April 29, 2020 11:50 pm  #4

Thanks again Aflem.  I'll get the hang of it eventually.

As noted, the picture was taken in Inuvik, Northwest Territories.  I was working for the local CBC radio station at the time, and was chosen as the local Master of Ceremonies for the CBC's "Snowball Tour" variety show, that traveled across the Territories and Yukon.

Anne had never driven a ski-doo before, so we took my machine out onto the tundra for a half hour, and later came back to town where we had lunch, and a great conversation, with her and John Allan Cameron.

Definitely 'stylin' in my plaid suit and sealskin parka.

April 30, 2020 6:25 am  #5

Nice pic, Earl. And you posted it perfectly. It gets easier from here on in. Glad I could help.

April 30, 2020 2:06 pm  #6

Oh, and just in case there's anyone who doesn't recognize her, that's a young and gorgeous Anne Murray.

Board footera