The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 28, 2020 3:12 am  #1

harlem globetrotters 45

sometime in the early mid-sixties, i'd say between '63-'66 or thereabout, i went to a globetrotters performance. at the merch table, i bought a 45, in a plain white sleeve. one side was "sweet georgia brown" which i believe was their theme song, no idea now what the flip was. i seem to recall the disc had a red label, but i'm not sure. can't remember the band name, but it implied a jazz outfit i think, and the music was indeed something along the lines of light, trad, or smooth jazz (ramsey lewis with maybe a dixieland bent?), or it would have been over my head at the time, which it wasn't.

i know, despite their name, the globetrotters were based in chicago and there was and is a lot of jazz originating there. could it have been a locally based recording? can anyone tell me anything about this rekkid? who recorded it, whatever else they might have done, etc., whatever...? thanks, if you can.

Last edited by gopher (April 28, 2020 4:11 am)

April 28, 2020 8:05 am  #2

Re: harlem globetrotters 45

gopher wrote:

sometime in the early mid-sixties, i'd say between '63-'66 or thereabout, i went to a globetrotters performance. at the merch table, i bought a 45, in a plain white sleeve. one side was "sweet georgia brown" which i believe was their theme song, no idea now what the flip was. i seem to recall the disc had a red label, but i'm not sure. can't remember the band name, but it implied a jazz outfit i think, and the music was indeed something along the lines of light, trad, or smooth jazz (ramsey lewis with maybe a dixieland bent?), or it would have been over my head at the time, which it wasn't.

i know, despite their name, the globetrotters were based in chicago and there was and is a lot of jazz originating there. could it have been a locally based recording? can anyone tell me anything about this rekkid? who recorded it, whatever else they might have done, etc., whatever...? thanks, if you can.

Googled it and according to Wikipedia it was cut by "Freeman Davis (October 4, 1902 – June 14, 1974[1]), an American whistling and bone playing recording artist best known by his stage name Brother Bones as well as "Whistling Sam". (What the heck is "bone playing?") He first cut it in '49, but I have no idea if the red label recording you refer to was a re-recording or re-release.
https://www.amazon.com/HARLEM-GLOBETROTTERS-SWEET-GEORGIA-BUTTERFLY/dp/B01NC0ET77

Last edited by Roman (April 28, 2020 2:12 pm)

April 28, 2020 11:54 am  #3

Believe it or don't, Brother Bones actually appeared at my high school in 1960.  The bones were wooden sticks about 5" long, and played roughly the way you play castenets.  It was a 30 minute assembly during normal school hours and we all seemed to recognize "Sweet Georgia Brown" as the Globetrotters warm-up song, considering there were no African-American students in the school at that time.

April 28, 2020 11:29 pm  #4

The record was issued a few times with various labels and B sides...

https://www.45cat.com/artist/brother-bones

Tom Diehl

April 30, 2020 1:26 am  #5

StereoTom wrote:

The record was issued a few times with various labels and B sides...

https://www.45cat.com/artist/brother-bones

yes! 45-HGT-300 

it's the very one i had, no doubt about it. thanks, tom.

May 1, 2020 10:30 pm  #6

Which one? Several on there fot your description, heh.

Tom Diehl

Board footera