The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 2, 2020 11:18 pm  #1

How De Niro Gave Us Sinatra’s ‘New York, New York’

The old friend shows up every night, big and brawny as ever. He’s on a Brooklyn family’s seventh-floor balcony in Windsor Terrace, and above the Portofino Ristorante in Forest Hills, and bellowing out of a truck rolling slowly up and down the empty canyons of Manhattan’s avenues, right on time to — with the crash of a cymbal — start spreadin’ the news.
It is 7 p.m., and the city is already clapping, a nightly outpouring of support for health care workers that has taken place for weeks. And many have added a soundtrack to their applause, as familiar as the skyline. It’s as brassy and over the top as ever — and yet, playing out across a cooped-up city of crowded apartments and masks and gloves, its bottomless optimism can visibly bring smiles, a short pause to The Pause.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/01/nyregion/thank-you-coronavirus-helpers-7pm-sinatra.html

May 3, 2020 6:28 am  #2

Re: How De Niro Gave Us Sinatra’s ‘New York, New York’

Great story.  I'm not from New York and never visited the city, but there is something about that song!  When I hear it I can't sit still.  When it's used for purposes such as this, it brings emotion to me.  Yes, I'm not a New Yorker, but when this song plays, I feel I am.

May 3, 2020 7:35 am  #3

Re: How De Niro Gave Us Sinatra’s ‘New York, New York’

I'm also moved by the song. But I'm just not entirely sure it's the most appropriate thing to play a tune whose first words are "Start spreading" during a virus pandemic! Other than that, though, a great anthem for a great city. 

Board footera