The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 7, 2019 11:07 pm  #1

Michael Jackson and George Harrison: Rare radio interview restored

Forty years ago, two of music's biggest stars walked into BBC Radio 1 and sat down to review the week's new releases.
Michael Jackson and George Harrison spent the next 90 minutes discussing singles by Foreigner, Nicolette Larson and The Blues Brothers, as well as the stories behind their own songs.
The BBC discarded the show, keeping only a short clip. But now a rare recording has been found and restored.
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-47160940

February 10, 2019 6:26 pm  #2

Re: Michael Jackson and George Harrison: Rare radio interview restored

It seems strange that Michael Jackson didn't know the Harrison wrote Something. You would think they would know all the details.

February 11, 2019 7:16 am  #3

Maybe because Something was the first Harrison song released as a Beatles A-side? I was only 9 when it came out (and Jackson was 11), but I can see where people could have thought that it would be another Lennon-McCartney composition given that this was the case for so many singles before it. It is ironic that Jackson ended up buying the rights to the Lennon-McCartney songs several years later. 

February 11, 2019 8:04 am  #4

"Something" that McCartney has commented on many times and not hiding his anger very well.LOL!

February 11, 2019 8:59 am  #5

Yes, very true. But I've wondered why he didn't just buy the rights himself. I'm presuming he would have also had the wherewithal to do so ... was he not aware that they were available? I could try to do a search to find out about this, but I'm just wondering if you or anyone else here might know. 

February 11, 2019 10:59 am  #6

from all I have read Paul did try. It was a closed bid and Paul assumed no one would out bid him. After telling Michael previously that the only way to REALLY make money in music was to buy the rights to other's songs. Well he did it and that ended their friendship.

February 11, 2019 11:03 am  #7

Ok, it makes more sense now. Thanks.

Board footera