The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 9, 2020 10:23 am  #1

Little Richard, rock ‘n’ roll icon and Georgia native, dies at 87

Richard Wayne Penniman, better known as Little Richard, a rock ‘n’ roll icon and Macon native, died Saturday in Nashville, according to Rolling Stone. He was 87.
A pioneer of rock ‘n’ roll, Little Richard released a string of hits in the 1950s including “Tutti Frutti,” “Long Tall Sally,” and “Good Golly, Miss Molly” and influenced legendary musicians like The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix and Prince. He never forgot his Georgia roots.
https://www.macon.com/news/local/article242619711.html

May 9, 2020 11:09 am  #2

Re: Little Richard, rock ‘n’ roll icon and Georgia native, dies at 87

Sad news indeed.  Little Richard was one of the very elite giants.  I saw him in concert about 10 years ago here in Portland.  I was right next to the stage and holding some 20-something female that wanted to be at the same place I was.  She vanished as soon as the concert was over.  It was a memorable night of real Rock-N-Roll, not R&B or Blues or anything else, just pure "Rock-N-Roll".  In addition to his great music, he always brought a lot of smiles to the audience.  He had fun on stage and passed it on to the crowd.  Little Richard has finally "Shut Up!"  Bless you and my deepest thanks for the music and memories.  R.I.P.

May 9, 2020 10:06 pm  #3

May 12, 2020 1:57 am  #4

even while playing himself richard was also a fairly talented comedic actor as well, as you will know if you've seen his cameo in the pond hockey film, "mystery, alaska."

Last edited by gopher (May 12, 2020 1:59 am)

May 15, 2020 6:26 pm  #5

There will be a special tribute to Little Richard on AM740 this Sunday. The details are at 
http://www.zoomerradio.ca/blogs/host-blogs/gene-stevens/salute-architect-rocknroll-little-richard/.

Board footera