The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 21, 2020 8:50 am  #1

Online Music Challenge Shows Generational Divide

This music quiz shows just how many songs you don't know, depending on when you were born. It illustrates the great divide between Baby Boomers, Gen Xers and Millennials, and how popular tunes become solidified - or not - in your memory. I got all the 60s and 70s ones, but did very poorly on the 80s. I didn't even bother with the 90s!

The idea is to show how music fades from cultural knowledge and you can see a chart of the answers and how well each generation did on songs you probably know after you're done hearing the 10 snippets.  

If this kind of thing interests you, you can take the test here. 

May 22, 2020 9:16 pm  #2

Re: Online Music Challenge Shows Generational Divide

The link doesn't seem to work for me.  It says "loading", but five minutes later, still nothing.

May 23, 2020 9:27 pm  #3

Hmm, not sure why. I get right in. Is there anything on your browser (like an extension) that might be stopping it? Here's the original URL if that helps:

https://pudding.cool/2020/04/music-challenge/

May 24, 2020 5:20 am  #4

When I entered my year of birth (don't ask) it played tunes from when I was thirty (30) years old.       Tunes that define my generation are from when I was 14 - 18 yrs old       

May 24, 2020 5:56 am  #5

aflem wrote:

This music quiz shows just how many songs you don't know, depending on when you were born. It illustrates the great divide between Baby Boomers, Gen Xers and Millennials, and how popular tunes become solidified - or not - in your memory. I got all the 60s and 70s ones, but did very poorly on the 80s. I didn't even bother with the 90s!

The idea is to show how music fades from cultural knowledge and you can see a chart of the answers and how well each generation did on songs you probably know after you're done hearing the 10 snippets.  

If this kind of thing interests you, you can take the test here. 

Yeah, the 60's and 70's were a cake walk to the degree that I knew that they weren't using the original version of Snoopy vs The Red Baron. I missed one 80's song, something by Billy Ocean that I didn't recall. I may try the rest after a couple of coffees.

May 24, 2020 8:56 am  #6

when I put in my B'day it took me straight to the 90s where I knew zero. 

May 24, 2020 9:36 am  #7

It seems to randomly generate the year you're taken to, no matter what your birth year is. I got about half the 80s, but missed many of them. After you're done the first round, though, you can go back and pick any year you want to try. I'm really not sure what the purpose of it is, but it's fun for a few minutes. 

Board footera