The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 14, 2019 12:10 pm  #1

Carolina Beach Music

In a recent topic there was a mention of Carolina Beach Music. While most categories of oldies music are readily recognizable (ex. doo-wop, surf music, motown, girl-group), I find it difficult to listen to a song and be able to say "that's Carolina Beach Music".

Can anyone help in distinguishing/identifying what a beach music song sounds like?  I have read a number of articles and scanned several "best beach songs" lists, but there doesn't seem to be a distinct commonality to the songs.

February 11, 2019 1:22 pm  #2

February 13, 2019 8:51 am  #3

Re: Carolina Beach Music

Thanks for the link, Flo.  Interesting to read how it all got started.

February 14, 2019 4:03 am  #4

After you read this history, if you're looking for a commonality, it is probably beats per minute.  I haven't heard that referenced in awhile, but you have to be able to shag to it.  It's such an elegant dance, dancers look like they're floating.  

February 14, 2019 9:27 am  #5

Thanks, Flo. Your comment about beats per minute was of particular interest to me, because I take latin and ballroom dance lessons and occasionally this subject is mentioned. So I did a search, and found the following site that mentions this and other aspects of the Carolina Shag. 
http://www.fasadance.com/what-is-the-carolina-shag-what-is-the-music.html

Board footera