The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 19, 2020 12:46 am  #1

live nation strikes a blow to the heart of working oldies acts

and anyone who isn't a major artist which can demand top dollar and be guaranteed to get it. many acts, even with merch sales, will struggle to make ends meet, whenever the road begins again, as it already is.

https://jambands.com/news/2020/06/18/report-in-2021-live-nation-to-slash-payments-to-performers-shift-financial-burden-to-artists-in-unprecedented-move/

Last edited by gopher (June 19, 2020 7:50 am)

June 19, 2020 6:35 am  #2

Re: live nation strikes a blow to the heart of working oldies acts

Wow. Wow.  That's gonna hurt a lot of artists.  The rock star dream might slowly be dying...

June 19, 2020 7:12 pm  #3

I contacted Joe Marrione at Praia Entertainment, one of the bigger promoters of oldies shows (Rock, Pop, and Doo Wopp) and asked him about the move by Live Nation.  His answer was:  " It has no bearing on our artists or operations."

June 20, 2020 10:43 pm  #4

GrimsbyFan wrote:

I contacted Joe Marrione at Praia Entertainment, one of the bigger promoters of oldies shows (Rock, Pop, and Doo Wopp) and asked him about the move by Live Nation.  His answer was:  " It has no bearing on our artists or operations."

that's no doubt true, in regard to praia and the artists who book with, and exclusively perform in contract for them. yet, if a praia act books a show independently through live nation, or performs in one of live nation's vast international array of venues (which is kinda hard to avoid these days on any level past that of regional bar band) it would certainly have bearing on them, eventually..

praia, of course, doesn't book all oldies acts. those they don't, and many others of all genres, will almost surely suffer from live nation's clearly monopolist-driven dictums at some time in the near future.

likewise, fans like you and me find ourselves at the lack of live nation's mercy also. as, almost without a doubt likely in tandem, live nation has recently initiated new ticketing policies, across its various platforms, aimed toward making it much more difficult for folks to obtain refunds to shows which have cancelled for any reason, no matter who, in their accountants, nevermind lawyers wisdom, have determined will be arbiters of those required to produce and distribute such funds  for reimbursement, if any...

as a result, the praia roster may perhaps swell. though the agency may also find itself with increasingly fewer venues, deprived of any aside from local clubs, rec centers, and county fairs, to place their acts. live nation will continue to gobble up just about every sort of venue it can get its hands on which seems a likely candidate for their branding and exploitatin otherwise. ain't commerce grand? well,, naybe.....

i bet i can guess what live nation is looking at right now as their next investment: drive-in filmores! they already own most, if not all, indoor ones, so why not? if only garth brooks had stayed in retirement i wouldn't have to think of such a nightmare, and live nation might not have thought of it either. if it happens don't say i didn't tell ya it could.

by the way, bill graham once said that he ditched the fillmores in part because he was getting too many offers to franchise them, and he wasn't for the concept of "kentucky fried fillmores." as he invisioned them rightfully  as they would come to exist. being dead doesn't do much for your intention or aspiration, at least not in his case apparently.

let's rock, however you want to shake it down.

Last edited by gopher (June 21, 2020 10:36 am)

June 21, 2020 9:50 am  #5

Heard from two other oldies concert promoters, Rob Albanese of Lar Enterprises and Scott Avig of Scotty Productions, and they concurred with Joe Mirrione (Rock, Pop, and Doo Wopp) that the Live Nation announcement would have little or no effect on their operations.  Scotty speculated that Live Nation has probably lost millions and millions of dollars, given the high profile of the acts they present and the venues they use.  He also said: "The artists most likely kept all of the deposits before the shows got cancelled and at that level your talking big big money."

As a side note, Peter Noone was recently interviewed on a round table (from his home), and he was asked what he and his band were doing while in "lockdown".  His answer was: " I told the guys to not get lazy but rather to stay in shape.  When this is over we're going to have to be ready to work twice as hard, and probably for half as much money." 

June 22, 2020 2:10 am  #6

GrimsbyFan wrote:

Heard from two other oldies concert promoters, Rob Albanese of Lar Enterprises and Scott Avig of Scotty Productions, and they concurred with Joe Mirrione (Rock, Pop, and Doo Wopp) that the Live Nation announcement would have little or no effect on their operations.  Scotty speculated that Live Nation has probably lost millions and millions of dollars, given the high profile of the acts they present and the venues they use.  He also said: "The artists most likely kept all of the deposits before the shows got cancelled and at that level your talking big big money."

As a side note, Peter Noone was recently interviewed on a round table (from his home), and he was asked what he and his band were doing while in "lockdown".  His answer was: " I told the guys to not get lazy but rather to stay in shape.  When this is over we're going to have to be ready to work twice as hard, and probably for half as much money." 

as has the entire industry, live nation is of course taking a hit. it may be presumptive, however, for other agencies to think it is bleeding in the same fashion they have been. from "billboard":

Live Nation has ample liquidity for multiple scenarios
Monthly cash burn is $150 million, according to Joe Berchtold, Live Nation's president. As of March 31, Live Nation had $807 million and $900 million available in a revolving credit facility.

noone certainly has the right attitude. then, there's the flip side. i see, for example, that the tampa bay blues festival, which had been scheduled for april of this year, has announced that it has re-booked all acts who were to have performed, and intends to present the same show, in its original running order, next year.

i have to wonder, how many of those acts might still be in business by then, as live nation kicks them while they're down?.

Last edited by gopher (June 22, 2020 2:44 am)

Board footera