The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 25, 2020 1:13 pm  #1

Which oldies song(s) have great musical intros?

I'll start off with three of my favorites:

California Girls - The Beach Boys
Acclaimed as perhaps the best musical intro ever.  Simple yet also complex.  Apparently required 44 takes to get it the way Brian wanted it.  Just throw "Intro to California Girls" into a Google search and you'll be amazed at how much commentary comes up.

Crystal Blue Persuasion - Tommy James and the Shondells
Great intro with the bongos as well as acoustic and electric guitar.  Really sets the mood for the song.

Make It With You - Bread
Another song with a great into - the acoustic guitar, followed by the bass and then the electric guitar.  Perfect for the vocals that follow. 

June 25, 2020 3:49 pm  #2

Re: Which oldies song(s) have great musical intros?

How about a song I just heard this afternoon: The Air That I Breathe by The Hollies. Great opening lick. And of course, if you don't mind a cliche, nothing can beat the first sequence of chords in Layla or Satisfaction.

Last edited by aflem (June 25, 2020 3:50 pm)

June 25, 2020 6:33 pm  #3

I've been a fan of the intro to "Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel" by Tavares since the first time I heard it back in 1976.  I really feel the magic when "Whispering Bells by the Del Vikings booms out of my car stereo.
The day after our ship docked in San Francisco, I had to search for the nearest Top 40 station (Guam was a radio pop music desert in 1956 - 58).  The first song I heard was "I Wonder Why" by Dion & Belmonts.  Still get the same thrill when it shows up.
I know it's out of our usual pop music era, but I do want to tell this story.  In Nov., 1996, I  was just driving around one night, looking for hillside spots where I could see the big city lights of Portland, OR. I was bouncing around several radio stations when I heard this haunting intro.  Within about 8 notes, I knew I had to pull over and listen to the song.  It was as good as I hoped, "On A Bus To St. Cloud" by Trisha Yearwood grabbed me and has held on ever since.  It didn't even make the Top 50 C&W charts, but I still love it.

June 25, 2020 8:14 pm  #4

The first one I thought of was Last Kiss - J Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers and then Black Magic Woman – Santana.  I pulled up the list on my cel, when I got to Angel Baby by Rosie & The Originals I decided that was a candidate for #1.  I don’t know if it’s that great of if it just brings back so many memories of dances as a teenager.

If I include a modern song, The Tide Is High – Blondie.

I do remembering being surprised that some songs had intros when I heard the record because they often didn’t play that part on the radio.

June 26, 2020 5:05 am  #5

1. Nobody But You-Dee Clark
2. Monterey-Eric Burdon & The Animals

June 26, 2020 6:58 am  #6

There's no mistaking that  "Layla" by Derek and the Dominos is in the building.  Actually, that intro keeps me going until the very end of the song with the "bird tweet."

June 26, 2020 6:24 pm  #7

Eric Clapton's acoustic version of Tears In Heaven.  So, so sad though...  Beautiful tribute of a man's love for his son.

June 27, 2020 8:29 am  #8

"summertime" big brother and the holding company

June 27, 2020 11:33 am  #9

rock and roll hoochie coo

June 27, 2020 12:05 pm  #10

Gimme Shelter....Rolling Stones

June 28, 2020 2:43 pm  #11

Be My Baby - The Ronettes

The Hal Blaine drum beat intro to the song (followed immediately by the wall of sound and Ronnie's unmistakable voice) is also near the top of my list.

June 30, 2020 1:46 pm  #12

How about Treat Her Right by Roy Head?  Very identifiable, and it just goes on and on forever.
Turn On Your Love Light - Bobby Bland
Secret Agent Man - Johnny Rivers

July 2, 2020 2:22 pm  #13

I though about making a list but there are WAY, WAY, WAY too many to even begin.

Some very recognizable intros Wipe Out - The Surfaris, Louie Louie - The Kingsmen and a personal favorite Runaway - Del Shannon.

Board footera