The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 6, 2020 2:02 pm  #1

Charlie Daniels RIP

Just saw that Charlie Daniels (The Devil Went Down to Georgia) has died.

July 6, 2020 3:08 pm  #2

Re: Charlie Daniels RIP

From The AP obit:

In “The Devil Went Down to Georgia,” a 1979 song about a fiddling duel between the devil and a whippersnapper named Johnny, Daniels originally called the devil a “son of a bitch,” but changed it to “son of a gun.”

Never knew about the word change, but it definitely made it more radio friendly. 

Country Rocker And Fiddler Charlie Daniels Dies At Age 83

July 6, 2020 4:00 pm  #3

I ain’t never heard the “gun” version.  I’ve listened to it since it came out and I’ve got the CD.  I also just checked on Youtube and I can’t find one video where he says “gun”.  More fake news?

July 6, 2020 4:48 pm  #4

If you listen to the single version on You Tube it is gun. Was changed on the edited version to be radio friendly, like Steve Miller Band with the edit of Jetliner .

July 6, 2020 11:20 pm  #5

Taz wrote:

I ain’t never heard the “gun” version.  I’ve listened to it since it came out and I’ve got the CD.  I also just checked on Youtube and I can’t find one video where he says “gun”.  More fake news?

in later years, as charlie moved from southern rock to more country-centric county and state fair venues, he also changed "i will take another toke" in his song, "long haired country boy", to the more conservative "i'll pop the top off another coke".

Last edited by gopher (July 6, 2020 11:25 pm)

July 7, 2020 1:56 am  #6

Being from the radio DJ planet, I only heard the "son of a gun" version for several years.  I wasn't surprised when the "S.O.B." version showed up on a CD I bought several years later, I had wondered if he'd done it that way.

Last edited by Jim Southern (July 7, 2020 1:58 am)

July 7, 2020 11:27 am  #7

gopher wrote:

Taz wrote:

in later years, as charlie moved from southern rock to more country-centric county and state fair venues, he also changed "i will take another toke" in his song, "long haired country boy", to the more conservative "i'll pop the top off another coke".

Your post just reminded me of another of his early southern rock songs, Uneasy Rider, which also sported some pretty colorful lyrics. I remember hearing it on the radio back in the day...either on CKOC in Hamilton or WKBW in Buffalo.

July 7, 2020 12:32 pm  #8

Scotty wrote:

If you listen to the single version on You Tube it is gun. Was changed on the edited version to be radio friendly, like Steve Miller Band with the edit of Jetliner .

That just sounds weird.  I guess I never heard it on the radio.  I didn’t switch the radio over to country until maybe December of 1980.  

July 7, 2020 4:08 pm  #9

Songfacts did an interview with him in 2007 which I found to be really enjoyable. He discusses the songs mentioned in the above posts and there are links within the piece to further information on those songs.

https://www.songfacts.com/blog/interviews/charlie-daniels

July 13, 2020 9:33 pm  #10

I saw Charlie live twice, and somewhere in storage have an autographed copy of his autobiography. He put on a great show. I didn't know what to expect the first time around, as I only knew The Devil Went Down To Georgia, but I became a fan of his entire body of work afterwards.

Tom Diehl

July 14, 2020 7:36 am  #11

Roman wrote:

gopher wrote:

Taz wrote:

Your post just reminded me of another of his early southern rock songs, Uneasy Rider, which also sported some pretty colorful lyrics. I remember hearing it on the radio back in the day...either on CKOC in Hamilton or WKBW in Buffalo.

"Uneasy Rider"  was a fun song.  It was after "The Devil Went Down To Georgia" became a hit that I discovered Charlie did both songs.  I would never have guessed he was the artist.

Last edited by It's me Karen (July 14, 2020 7:37 am)

Board footera