The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 12, 2020 4:26 pm  #1

Motown Legend Recalls Inspirations For Label's Classic Songs

Lamont Dozier, of Holland-Dozier-Holland fame and co-composer of some of the greatest Motown classics, recalls the inspiration for tunes ranging from Stop In The Name of Love, Nowhere To Run and Where Did Our Love Go, explains who the real Bernadette was and, in the audio segment, talks about the first time he ever heard Aretha Franklin sing.  

"The first time the words "stop in the name of love" came out of Dozier's mouth, he was at a motel where he was "being a little naughty." When his main squeeze found out, she showed up at the motel to confront him."

Who was the real Bernadette? Lamont Dozier shares true stories behind Motown hits

July 12, 2020 6:42 pm  #2

Re: Motown Legend Recalls Inspirations For Label's Classic Songs

No question, he was a powerful force in the heydays of Motown.  As a DJ. I always looked at the writers credits, figuring someday I could use them when talking about a song, trying to sound like I was the authority, so I was well aware of the H-D-H combo.  One note in that story, "Stop! In The Name Of Love" was not the Supremes first pop #1, it was their 4th.  "Where Did Our Love Go" was their first chart topper.

July 12, 2020 7:23 pm  #3

Yeah, I noticed that error, as well. "Where Did Our Love Go" was definitely the first real Supremes hit. And after that, they were never not only off the charts, but almost always at #1. 

I just discovered something else that's interesting but very weird. Last August, Motown released a series of very short (1:45 or less) vignettes on YouTube featuring interviews with some of their biggest stars. In one, Levi Stubbs of the Four Tops talks about how much he disliked his original vocal on "I Can't Help Myself," and pleaded to be able to redo it. They placated him and told him he could and then released it anyway. The result: maybe the best record they ever did. 

There are also short vocal reflections with Martha & The Vandellas, The Temptations (who remember the first time they were presented with "My Girl"), Smokey Robinson and The Miracles, Marvin Gaye and more. Most talk about the origins of their songs, but one, The Supremes, is a minute and a half of all three going on about shopping for some reason. 

The recollections were obviously recorded a very long time ago (some of those heard have passed away) but what's weird about the collection is that it's all done using animation and the artists are never seen. I'm guessing that's because none of it was ever filmed and all that ever got put on tape was the audio. But while the stories are terrific, the technique used to present them is very odd. 

Anyway, better to have them than not, I suppose. 

You can scroll through the list here.

July 13, 2020 4:55 am  #4

Just reading the Holland's biography right now.   Fascinating some of the background to the songs esp how Stop In The Name Of Love came to be and the tragic story behind  Nowhere To Run.

July 13, 2020 7:21 am  #5

I'll never feel the same while listening to "Nowhere To Run."

July 13, 2020 9:21 pm  #6

Neither will I Karen, very effecting and would never have guessed what it really related to.

Board footera