The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 18, 2020 9:56 am  #1

An American looks at nearly 50 years of Cancon rules

Before January 1971, there was no requirement for Canadian radio stations to play any Canadian music. That changed when the Cancon rules came into effect. When a 30% non-negotiable quota was instituted, it gave birth to the modern Canadian music industry.
https://www.ajournalofmusicalthings.com/an-america-looks-at-nearly-50-years-of-cancon-rules/

July 18, 2020 5:16 pm  #2

Re: An American looks at nearly 50 years of Cancon rules

well now, that got me to thinking about how lucky i was to have a shortwave radio when i was growing up. i got to hear all kinds of pop, rock, and folk music from all over the world. while, of course, most of the pop and rock was based on the british and american model, some brought distinctly regional and locally cultural flavor and information to its approach and sound, which certainly wasn't available in much, if any, regular quantity on usa radio.

though, during the mid sixties, the british invasion would have had it entirely covered, i can't help wondering how much more diverse, entertaining, and educational radio in the united states would have been if, conversely, there'd have been a mandate of 30% international playlists. maybe this country would be at least somewhat less myopic today.

for example, thanks to a long gone website, "channel a", i know something about cantopop. but, since the genre has gotten little if any airplay in the west, i've never heard a note of it.

Last edited by gopher (July 18, 2020 5:55 pm)

July 19, 2020 8:51 am  #3

I feel very fortunate to have lived in an area where CKLW was heard loud and clear all hours of the day.  I listened to the music it played and really didn't realize I was hearing more Canadian music than probably a lot of stations nationwide.  And I don't mean a Canadian hit here and there, I mean lots of songs from of course Guess Who but also Edwin Bear, The Poppy Family, Ann Murray, and even Gino Vannelli.  I could sit here typing all day coming up with artists.  I can't slight Gordon Lightfoot, though.  Every time I heard him I swear he was in the room with me.  He had the ability to make most of his songs sound haunting.  Yes, to me that's an ability.  Sure I'm going to name The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald as one haunting number, but I must include Beautiful.  Goose bumps.

Last edited by It's me Karen (July 19, 2020 8:52 am)

July 19, 2020 9:48 am  #4

Lorne wrote:

Before January 1971, there was no requirement for Canadian radio stations to play any Canadian music. That changed when the Cancon rules came into effect. When a 30% non-negotiable quota was instituted, it gave birth to the modern Canadian music industry.
https://www.ajournalofmusicalthings.com/an-america-looks-at-nearly-50-years-of-cancon-rules/

One thing the author didn't mention, likely because it doesn't fit with the story's positive slant, is the creative way some Canadian radio stations skirted around the Cancon regulations. We've talked about this before; sometimes in late evening/early morning hours, stations played seriously chopped down versions of Canadian singles, thereby allowing them to meet their quota without playing the entire tracks. I haven't heard the 70 second version of Devil You in a long time.

July 19, 2020 4:15 pm  #5

My first paid radio job was in a tiny CBC station north of the Arctic Circle  (CHAK - Inuvik, Northwest Territories).  I was there when CanCom came into effect in the early 70s, but it didn't make much difference to us. We were already playing perhaps 50% or more.  The only real change was having to log the percentages at the end of every shift.

Board footera