The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 2, 2020 2:34 pm  #1

Your Song

Here's something new I learned today while reading the weekly Parade magazine:

“Your Song” (Elton John)Sir Elton owes part of his breakthrough with “Your Song” to Three Dog Night. The group’s Danny Hutton tells Parade, “Elton gave us the demo of it and we recorded it for our album It Ain’t Easy in 1970. We thought about releasing it as a single,” says Hutton, 77, “but in the end, we didn’t.” Even John‘s record company didn’t initially intend “Your Song” as a single; they buried it on the B-side of “Take Me to the Pilot.” But when DJs played his gorgeous ballad instead, it shot into the Top 10.

The link below shows this piece plus more tidbits about songs from 1970.  Quite interesting. 

https://parade.com/1068209/jimfarber/best-70s-songs/

August 2, 2020 4:37 pm  #2

Re: Your Song

Thanks for posting. I found that really interesting. I'm not sure if the Three Dog Night version of "Your Song" would have had the same impact that Elton John's did. For those who've never heard it (and I hadn't before reading the article) it's definitely a different take - and I don't think anywhere near as good as the one we all know best. But it's worth a listen to see and hear what might have been. 

Board footera