The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 6, 2020 4:42 pm  #1

Wayne Fontana R.I. P.

Always enjoyed his work with the Mindbenders  and he had some excellent solo records like 24 Sycamore and  Pamela Pamela.   Yet another lost to cancer.   Thanks for the music !

August 7, 2020 2:57 am  #2

Re: Wayne Fontana R.I. P.

i read a history of his recordings, and the mindbenders, with and without him, once. the chronology is both confusing and complicated. the records were also misleadingly credited and advertised as well in some cases too, apparently.

in any case, wayne was quite the 'character' to say the least. some years back he was on trial for, i think, disturbing the peace or something similar, when he set the bailiff's car on fire, leading to another charge of course. there's a couple of great pics of wayne in costume, with props at the trial, if you can find them. i couldn't get any of the url's to work here, or i'd have included one. .

Last edited by gopher (August 7, 2020 3:47 am)

August 7, 2020 1:36 pm  #3

Eric Stewart, co-founder of the Mindbenders with Wayne Fontana, also founded 10cc.  Mindbenders made a guest appearance in Sidney Poitier's movie To Sir With Love.

August 8, 2020 9:03 am  #4

"The Game Of Love" was a great, catchy song.  Loved it.

RIP Wayne.

August 8, 2020 11:29 am  #5

Game of Love was, and still is, one of my favourite British Invasion songs. I was very young when it came out and never got to see him perform it, but I just did a search and found a video of him doing it ... thought I'd share it as a tribute to him. RIP, Wayne.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM1H14avork

Board footera