The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 29, 2020 10:17 am  #1

Every song by The Beatles that John Lennon hated

Judging by this list, it doesn't sound like he was a fan of a lot of his or Paul's work. Too bad. Some of his most hated are some of my favorites.

And a few surprise me, like "Yesterday." Hated it? Really?

Last edited by aflem (July 29, 2020 10:18 am)

July 29, 2020 1:05 pm  #2

Re: Every song by The Beatles that John Lennon hated

I'm always amused at how John would hate a song one day and love it the next. 

July 29, 2020 5:37 pm  #3

Just about everything John ever said or did was purposely designed to "pull someone's leg". Even some of his compositions and recordings were specifically designed to upset folks who didn't "get it".  At least, that's my take.

July 30, 2020 8:06 am  #4

I'll add my least favorite Beatle song:

"Yellow Submarine"

July 30, 2020 9:19 am  #5

My vote for worst of the worst goes to "Within You Without You" from Sgt. Pepper.

No amount of drugs can make that listenable to me!

July 30, 2020 10:22 am  #6

what a load of hooey. if he hated the songs, why didn't he quit the band on principle when this illumination occured to him? or, was he saying such in retrospect because his solo efforts weren't measuring up saleswise? in any case, sounds like systemic insider  beatleism to me. best just to ignore it.

July 30, 2020 3:46 pm  #7

I agree Goph. I've read how he "wanted" to rebel against the ties they were wearing but in the long run he wore them, smiled and made lots of money.

July 30, 2020 6:55 pm  #8

aflem wrote:

Judging by this list, it doesn't sound like he was a fan of a lot of his or Paul's work. Too bad. Some of his most hated are some of my favorites.

I think you can pretty well dismiss this article as a load of rubbish. I mean the writer credits Lady Madonna as being on the Magical Mystery Tour album, so he's failed Beatles 101.

August 6, 2020 5:27 pm  #9

Every song by the Beatles that I hated.  Almost all of them.  (When the dust settled, I think I still liked Girl, but no other)

August 6, 2020 7:51 pm  #10

ooohhhh, so sorry! 

August 7, 2020 8:16 am  #11

Flo wrote:

Every song by the Beatles that I hated.  Almost all of them.  (When the dust settled, I think I still liked Girl, but no other)

Flo, do you really hate the music or perhaps it's the Beatles you hate?

August 7, 2020 9:56 am  #12

Maybe she hated the overexposure. There was no shortage of that! 

From the 1964 16 Magazine.

I'm struck by the irony of the phrase, "An Apple for the Teacher" given the name of their later record label. (Not to mention "All Together Now," which became the refrain in a future hit.)

And then there was the marketing:

Laugh if you want, but do you have any idea what mint copies of any of those collectibles would be worth today? I remember that my older sister had the Paul McCartney doll and I have no idea what happened to it. 

August 7, 2020 1:40 pm  #13

Roman wrote:

aflem wrote:

I think you can pretty well dismiss this article as a load of rubbish. I mean the writer credits Lady Madonna as being on the Magical Mystery Tour album, so he's failed Beatles 101.

Maybe Madonna was a child prodigy, not discovered till much later in life...

August 7, 2020 3:54 pm  #14

It's me Karen wrote:

Flo wrote:

Flo, do you really hate the music or perhaps it's the Beatles you hate?

Both, actually.  It's really that the Beatles and the rest of he British Invasion pretty much killed off the music I loved  I'm a singer person.

August 8, 2020 2:32 pm  #15

Flo wrote:

Beatles and the rest of the British Invasion pretty much killed off the music I loved.  I'm a singer person 

Florence -- you likely agree with John Milner who famously stated "rock 'n roll's been goin' downhill ever since Buddy Holly died", eh?

G.

August 9, 2020 8:09 am  #16

G. wrote:

Flo wrote:

Beatles and the rest of the British Invasion pretty much killed off the music I loved.  I'm a singer person 

Florence -- you likely agree with John Milner who famously stated "rock 'n roll's been goin' downhill ever since Buddy Holly died", eh?

G.

I could set my clock to you, G.

Board footera