The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 8, 2020 5:02 pm  #1

Moon River

Head an interview recently in which Pat Boone stated he was originally offered the song Moon River.

He turned it down because he said he didn't like it.

He suggested Andy Williams and the rest is history.

Moon River is Mr. Williams signature song.

Mr. Boone said that was one terrible mistake that he regrets to this day.

August 9, 2020 8:07 am  #2

Re: Moon River

Wow, that's interesting.  I can't imagine anyone turning down that song.

August 9, 2020 10:55 am  #3

No question it was an Andy Williams "signature song".  However, he did not make the singles charts with it.  The two hit versions were by Henry Mancini (of course) and Jerry Butler.  Interesting bit of trivia about those two.  Both reached #5 on the Cashbox chart and both peaked at #11 on the Billboard survey.  I read an article where Henry Mancini expressed a deep appreciation for Jerry's version getting it started, Jerry's single had a two week head start on the Billboard "Hot 100".  I noticed too that I've never seen it mentioned when talking about his big hits and he never sang it on the PBS specials

August 9, 2020 3:38 pm  #4

I just listened to Jerry Butler's version - very interesting.  I also like Ferrante and Teicher's version of this song.

August 29, 2020 8:14 pm  #5

Andy's version was available on a 45, but only if you were in the jukebox business, as part of a jukebox box set of 45s based around his lp that the song appeared on.

Tom Diehl

August 30, 2020 8:17 am  #6

For a little laugh:

I was reading the new posts in the General Discussion.  I saw the title, "Moon River" by unclefester.  "Holy Toledo", I thought.  I didn't know Uncle Fester put out a record, let alone the beautiful "Moon River."  While clicking on "go to new posts" I'm wondering if someone will say it's a great version or a joke. Or if he sang it with a light bulb in his mouth  Then the joke was on me.  unclefester is the poster who put out the original post.  Oh boy.

Welcome, unclefester.  Obviously, we've never met.

Board footera