The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 19, 2020 3:31 pm  #1

Herb Alpert Documentary: "I'm Rich, I'm Famous, But I'm Miserable"

I was never the biggest Herb Alpert fan (although they did use his music for the Dating Game in the 60s!) but he had a sound unlike anyone else. But there was more to him than just the trumpet. He's the "A" in A&M Records and he signed a huge stable of great artists, including Carole King, Cat Stevens, The Police, Joe Cocker and Peter Frampton. 

Now a new documentary on the hidden man behind the big brass instrument looks a lot more interesting than I thought it might. It's set to debut on Facebook Live on October 1st before heading to theaters. (If there are any theaters open by October.).Until then, the trailer for "Herb Alpert Is" remains tantalizing. 

Herb Alpert Documentary Shows Evolution From Hitmaker To A&M Records Founder

Last edited by aflem (August 19, 2020 3:34 pm)

August 20, 2020 10:00 pm  #2

Re: Herb Alpert Documentary: "I'm Rich, I'm Famous, But I'm Miserable"

I've been a Herb Alpert fan since "Lonely Bull" came out about the time I started my pro radio career (10/62).  The "Whipped Cream..." LP cover is probably one of the most recognizable in the world, and I've seen it in more garage sales than I can count.  But of course, Herb will always rate high with me for signing the Carpenters and letting their music be heard!!!

Board footera