The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 26, 2020 2:37 pm  #1

John Lennon's Killer Denied Parole For 11th Time

Mark David Chapman will remain right where he belongs for at least another two years - behind bars. The man who gunned down Beatles legend John Lennon in cold blood on a December night in 1980 claims he's remorseful and has tried repeatedly to be released. He won't get another chance until 2022. 

Yoko Ono has always asked the parole board not to let her husband's assassin loose on the street, fearing for her family's safety.

For their part, past parole officials have noted they're also afraid of murder-  only for Chapman, warning disgruntled and still angry Beatles fans might try to take his life in retribution for the act that robbed music of one of its greatest voices. 

John Lennon's Killer Denied Parole For An 11th Time

Last edited by aflem (August 26, 2020 4:23 pm)

August 26, 2020 2:40 pm  #2

Re: John Lennon's Killer Denied Parole For 11th Time

Protective custody without calling it "protective custody."  Seems like only yesterday...

Last edited by Little Rich (August 26, 2020 2:41 pm)

September 6, 2020 6:29 pm  #3

I'm not sure if this is well known or not, but I have to confess I never heard this before. According to the article below, Mark David Chapman also had David Bowie as a deadly target - but he got to John Lennon first. 

“I was second on his list, the detectives said,” Bowie told Redbeard as they shared a studio near Madison Square Garden in 1999. "

David Bowie was the next star on John Lennon assassin’s hit list

Last edited by aflem (September 6, 2020 6:29 pm)

September 6, 2020 11:34 pm  #4

aflem wrote:

I'm not sure if this is well known or not, but I have to confess I never heard this before. According to the article below, Mark David Chapman also had David Bowie as a deadly target - but he got to John Lennon first. 

“I was second on his list, the detectives said,” Bowie told Redbeard as they shared a studio near Madison Square Garden in 1999. "

David Bowie was the next star on John Lennon assassin’s hit list

it's been awhile since i read fenton bressler's book, "who killed john lennon?" but i don't recall it mentioning a list. if bressler's account is correct, such a list would only have existed as a decoy, to help establish the 'crazed fan' motive, which bressler attempts to debunk.

something i pondered well before reading the book, and certainly still do afterward: if chapman had simply been a deranged fan, wouldn't he have also shot lennon's collaborator yoko, and possibly her first?

Last edited by gopher (September 7, 2020 1:16 am)

Board footera