The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 21, 2020 10:42 am  #1

Why "Perfectionist" Dusty Springfield Kept Re-Recording Her Hit

This review is about an album called "Dusty in Memphis" that was a flop when it was released in the 60s, but has since become something of a world renowned work for the late Dusty Springfield. It spawned only a single hit and it was one most of us here will remember - "Son Of A Preacher Man," which the article notes was originally meant for Aretha Franklin. 

The interesting part to me is that Springfield was revealed as so much of a perfectionist that she re-recorded almost every line or phrase of every song over and over until it met her standards - including "Preacher Man," which she completely redid when she got back to New York.

Something to keep in mind next time you hear the tune. 

"Dusty In Memphis" Overview

Last edited by aflem (September 21, 2020 10:49 am)

September 21, 2020 12:37 pm  #2

Re: Why "Perfectionist" Dusty Springfield Kept Re-Recording Her Hit

because she wanted to, and somebody paid for the studio time? topic desperation is a tedious thing... and an ego is a terrible thing to waste, i suppose.

Last edited by gopher (September 21, 2020 12:46 pm)

September 21, 2020 1:44 pm  #3

Re: Why "Perfectionist" Dusty Springfield Kept Re-Recording Her Hit

I've long been impressed by what a great record Son Of A Preacher Man is, as well as being intrigued by the fact that she went to Memphis to do an album like that which was totally different for her and a very different thing for a British singer to do in general. But while I've wished that there would have been additional hits like that for her, I'm also not surprised that this wasn't the case. Over the years I've felt that when an established artist has a surprise hit like that, it's often a one-off when it comes to top 40 radio. Of course there are exceptions, but I always find it noteworthy when they occur. But it is interesting to know more about the story behind this album, and what happened with her career afterwards. And although we lost her far too soon, it's good to know that at least she eventually got to see the album receive the kind of recognition that it obviously deserved.

Board footera