The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 21, 2020 7:34 pm  #1

Roy Head RIP

I don't have a link to a story, but very reliable people on Facebook are reporting it.  If Ben Sandmel says it, I know it's true.  Roy was clearly the most popular performer on the Ponderosa Stomps in NOLA.  Strange that Dale Watson has been talking about him a lot in recent weeks, even sang Treat Her Right last week.  I knew he had some serious health issues awhile back, but the way Dale made it sound was that he had been to Hernando;s Hideaway recently, so I figured he must be OK.  Total shock.

Last edited by Flo (September 21, 2020 8:53 pm)

September 21, 2020 7:39 pm  #2

Re: Roy Head RIP

Here's the only article I've been able to find on it so far, but it's certainly confirmed.

From his son's Facebook page:

Last edited by aflem (September 21, 2020 7:42 pm)

September 21, 2020 8:48 pm  #3

Well, that's probably what I didn't want.  The only thing I came up with was something from CMT - Sundance Head's father dies.  How incredibly disrespectful.

September 21, 2020 8:56 pm  #4

Yeah, I thought it was strange as well. Obviously the site believes the son is so much better known than the dad that they put more of the spotlight on him. Not a great thing to do in an obit. 

September 22, 2020 1:54 am  #5

Flo wrote:

Well, that's probably what I didn't want.  The only thing I came up with was something from CMT - Sundance Head's father dies.  How incredibly disrespectful.

when doing research, going to the most direct source possible is always helpful. facebook is not an established or accredited, news reporting agency.

https://preview.houstonchronicle.com/music/roy-head-singer-who-took-houston-sound-up-the-15584781

September 22, 2020 11:21 am  #6

I started doing research-related work for the Toronto Transit Commission in 1995, which preceded my having access to the internet at work by a few years. After I was given access (and originally I think I was the only non-IT person to have this, because of the nature of my work), a colleague told me about a discussion forum about transit in Toronto that she thought could be a worthwhile source of info to me. At first I was reluctant to rely on what I saw from people posting there, unless I could verify it from a more traditional news source. But eventually I developed a sense of who and what I could trust in the way of info that I was seeing and started making use of it, and I rarely if ever found that such info was wrong. I would just make a point of citing what my source was if I was passing along such info to others. 
So I view other internet sources the same way. When Wikipedia came along, I understood that the nature of it meant that incorrect info could be posted there, and so I didn't make much use of it as a source (the fact that many people back then would refer to it as "Wackypedia" didn't help). But increasingly I found that it was quite useful and generally reliable, and again I developed a sense of what I could rely on ... I found that it wasn't hard to spot material there that was wrong. It usually fell into two areas: people who had an agenda, and people who were being mischief-makers. 
It's certainly much easier for those kinds of people to post material like that on social media. But again, I consider the source, as was done here by both Flo and aflem. I appreciate both of you doing that, and being careful in the way that you cited your sources as well. And goph, it's also good to have further confirmation of this from a more traditional news source. It's interesting to see that the Chronicle gives the source of the news of Roy Head's passing as being his son. Although they don't mention Facebook, I think that it's very likely that this is also the source of their info, and if so I think they've also known that it was his official Facebook account.
It's the nature of the world that we're now in. All of this got me thinking about something that I had seen from someone on another forum earlier this year, about reading a comment on Facebook about a singer having passed away. However, he said he was uncertain about this info, because he couldn't find any other source to back it up. I think the Facebook page was run by someone who is knowledgeable about music, but wasn't someone who was connected with the singer. So I tried at the time, and just tried again, to see if I could find another source for the info but couldn't. So that's an example of something that migh be valid, but that I didn't post because the source of the info wasn't strong enough. The flip side of all of this, however, is that sometimes the passings of oldies artists takes a long time to be reported by traditional news sources, or is never even reported at all. So in general, if anyone here has info like this that they want to share, I'm fine with that being done as long as the source is cited. Thanks to all of you for your efforts to confirm Roy's passing. 

September 23, 2020 6:04 am  #7

Lorne wrote:

I started doing research-related work for the Toronto Transit Commission in 1995, which preceded my having access to the internet at work by a few years. After I was given access (and originally I think I was the only non-IT person to have this, because of the nature of my work), a colleague told me about a discussion forum about transit in Toronto that she thought could be a worthwhile source of info to me. At first I was reluctant to rely on what I saw from people posting there, unless I could verify it from a more traditional news source. But eventually I developed a sense of who and what I could trust in the way of info that I was seeing and started making use of it, and I rarely if ever found that such info was wrong. I would just make a point of citing what my source was if I was passing along such info to others. 
So I view other internet sources the same way. When Wikipedia came along, I understood that the nature of it meant that incorrect info could be posted there, and so I didn't make much use of it as a source (the fact that many people back then would refer to it as "Wackypedia" didn't help). But increasingly I found that it was quite useful and generally reliable, and again I developed a sense of what I could rely on ... I found that it wasn't hard to spot material there that was wrong. It usually fell into two areas: people who had an agenda, and people who were being mischief-makers. 
It's certainly much easier for those kinds of people to post material like that on social media. But again, I consider the source, as was done here by both Flo and aflem. I appreciate both of you doing that, and being careful in the way that you cited your sources as well. And goph, it's also good to have further confirmation of this from a more traditional news source. It's interesting to see that the Chronicle gives the source of the news of Roy Head's passing as being his son. Although they don't mention Facebook, I think that it's very likely that this is also the source of their info, and if so I think they've also known that it was his official Facebook account.
It's the nature of the world that we're now in. All of this got me thinking about something that I had seen from someone on another forum earlier this year, about reading a comment on Facebook about a singer having passed away. However, he said he was uncertain about this info, because he couldn't find any other source to back it up. I think the Facebook page was run by someone who is knowledgeable about music, but wasn't someone who was connected with the singer. So I tried at the time, and just tried again, to see if I could find another source for the info but couldn't. So that's an example of something that migh be valid, but that I didn't post because the source of the info wasn't strong enough. The flip side of all of this, however, is that sometimes the passings of oldies artists takes a long time to be reported by traditional news sources, or is never even reported at all. So in general, if anyone here has info like this that they want to share, I'm fine with that being done as long as the source is cited. Thanks to all of you for your efforts to confirm Roy's passing. 

well, gee, lorne... i wasn't casting aspersions on the accuracy of the report per se, or questioning its source which didn't seem questionable. as flo said she could only find some snippet on cmt (i don't know if she meant on the tv channel, or its spinoff online presence which i assume includes facebook), it behooved me to suggest a source with a connection to the subject which is direct and accredited. a source which can be relied upon for not only accuracy of journalism, but quality writing as well. seriously, should i be satisfied with whatever google first serves up, or should i use my mind ans imagination to further investigate...?

bottom line: who offered an in-depth, detailed report on roy head's life, legacy, and the international import of his substantial contribution to texas rock and soul music almost immediately upon his passing, the houston chronicle or somebody's facebook page? i rest my case such as it may be.

Last edited by gopher (September 23, 2020 8:57 am)

September 23, 2020 8:42 am  #8

Thanks for elaborating, goph. My bottom line is that everyone who posted here cited legitimate sources of info, and that's really all that matters to me. I'm personally more oriented to wanting to find info about passings from traditional news sources myself, but I'm also totally fine with people posting info that's based on trustworthy sources on social media as well.

And there's a larger issue here that I've discussed before, but I'll mention again. Although the former board came to an end because Ron was shutting down the entire site, he also commented on how there wasn't that much activity on it any more anyway -- and I felt the same way. I was quite prepared to move on and focus on other interests, until Flo suggested that it would be good if I could set up a new board. Although that was easy enough for me to do on a technical level, I didn't want this board to end up becoming as inactive as the former board had become and so I've tried to learn from what happened there. That's why I've made a point of posting info I've found about oldies artists from a variety of sources that I consider to be legitimate to help ensure that we have some regular activity, and I also want to encourage others to do the same -- as has been the case here. 

Board footera