The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 27, 2020 4:50 am  #2

Re: W.S. Holland, dead at 85

sadly, the last time i saw him was on "pawn stars" a few seasons ago, helping someone try to sell one of johnny's cars. without w.s. holland, drums in rockabilly, and later (arguably to its current detriment), country music, may never have come anywhere near the forefront or have been seen as an instument of singular style or purpose other than rhythm to accompany guitars and vocals.

holland's deceptively spare and cleanly measured style could, i think, be compared to steve cropper's approach to guitar. crisp, outfront enough to make his presence effectively known and in particular noticed, while appearing to stay in the star, or song's background unless called upon. he was brilliant to be sure.  i wouldn't go so far as to say he was a genius, but he was workin' that turf without a doubt.

i'm sure at some point roseanne cash will release a statement, if she hasn't already. her rememberances should be worth noting as well, and i look forward to reading whatever she has to say.

marty stuart was on the opry last night, i'm surprised he didn't mention this. i can only assume he had not yet been informed. thanks, flo!

Last edited by gopher (September 27, 2020 6:03 am)

Board footera