The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 29, 2020 12:38 pm  #1

Singer/Songwriter Mac Davis Dies After Surgery

When you think of Mac Davis, you probably remember his hit "Baby, Baby, Don't Get Hooked On Me." But the guy was far more than that one song. He composed "In The Ghetto," which brought Elvis Presley back to the top of the charts in the early 70s. He also gave the King "Don't Cry Daddy" and "A Little Less Conversation."  And he wrote "Watching Scotty Grow," which helped Bobby Goldsboro's numbers grow on the charts.

Now the singer-turned-actor is said to be in critical condition following major surgery.    

Mac Davis: 'In The Ghetto' songwriter, actor 'critically ill' after heart surgery

Last edited by aflem (September 30, 2020 6:45 am)

September 30, 2020 12:07 am  #2

Re: Singer/Songwriter Mac Davis Dies After Surgery

Sadly, he has now passed as well. 
https://tasteofcountry.com/mac-davis-dead-dies/

September 30, 2020 2:00 am  #3

What a shocking week,  two above plus Roy C of Shotgun Wedding fame, understand one of the original Marvelettes  has pased and one of the sisters from the Emotions at only 61.

September 30, 2020 5:17 am  #4

Great song writer.  I remember watching his TV show.  He always seemed like a nice, funny guy.

RIP Mac.

September 30, 2020 6:48 am  #5

I've altered the thread subject title to reflect this sad development. The Billboard obit below also notes that he wrote "I Believe In Music" for Gallery and "Something's Burning" one of my favorite First Edition tunes. I never realized how many songs he was responsible for. A shame to lose him.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/country/9457389/mac-davis-dead

September 30, 2020 7:01 am  #6

Thanks for changing the subject line, aflem. I thought that it would be better to post the news of his passing in this thread rather than start a new one, but I did think about whether it would be better to change the subject line accordingly. So I appreciate you doing that. 

October 1, 2020 8:35 am  #7

Lorne wrote:

Sadly, he has now passed as well. 
https://tasteofcountry.com/mac-davis-dead-dies/

If my memory serves me correctly Helen Reddy's 'I Am Woman' and Mac's 'Baby Don't Get Hooked On Me' were on the pop charts at the same time, so it's coincidental that both performers should pass on the same day. Mac was still getting a few of his tunes covered as Willie Nelson cut 'It's Hard To Be Humble' on his 2019 album 'Ride Me Back Home'. 

October 1, 2020 9:25 am  #8

Roman wrote:

If my memory serves me correctly Helen Reddy's 'I Am Woman' and Mac's 'Baby Don't Get Hooked On Me' were on the pop charts at the same time, so it's coincidental that both performers should pass on the same day. Mac was still getting a few of his tunes covered as Willie Nelson cut 'It's Hard To Be Humble' on his 2019 album 'Ride Me Back Home'. 

You're right about Davis and Reddy being on the charts at the same time, and to add to what you're saying they were both 78 years old when they passed. On a personal level, there's also a real irony about the two Davis songs that you mention. My mother had felt that the "hooked on me" aspect of his first hit was too vain ... I never thought to ask her at the time, but I think she would have been more ok with it if he had sang "don't fall in love with me" instead. Anyway, when "It's Hard To Be Humble" came out, she told me about it (because it was only getting airplay here on a station that she listened to much more than I did), and said that she thought it was great. So her opinion of Davis as a songwriter ended up really improving as a result of him writing something that was so over-the-top and amusingly vain.

Board footera