The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 21, 2019 1:40 pm  #2

Re: Peter Tork has passed away

Sad news... just days after my friends Skip Groff and Artie Wayne passed away... though they were not as well known in the music world as a Monkee.

Tom Diehl

February 21, 2019 1:45 pm  #3

I was a little old for them but even today enjoy most of their songs.

Last edited by memphis boy (February 21, 2019 9:00 pm)

February 21, 2019 8:50 pm  #4

sad news indeed. but it's not too lake for macca, starr, dolenz and nesmith to form a supergroup. they could call themselves the beakees.

February 21, 2019 9:01 pm  #5

funny Goph!

February 22, 2019 6:48 am  #6

I agree Bruce. Said perfectly. I could sympathize with Peter Tork on the Wrecking Crew DVD when he was so shocked and insulted when he walked in to the recording session with his guitar and they said "what are you going to do with that?"  While on the Monkees have y'all seen the YouTube video of the Monkees cracking up on the set because they were stoned? Very funny

February 22, 2019 8:46 am  #7

I really liked the Monkees as well. When they were having their hits, I was too young to know anything about how they were formed, how they were viewed, etc. And as I got older, I still had trouble understanding why they weren't regarded in a better way, because I still thought that they put out some great music that stood up well. RIP Peter.

February 22, 2019 12:20 pm  #8

I agree Lorne. The fact that they didn't play on their first album really hurt their credibility but when you see how many different bands had the Wrecking Crew actually playing it becomes a moot point.

February 22, 2019 12:46 pm  #9

memphis boy wrote:

I agree Lorne. The fact that they didn't play on their first album really hurt their credibility but when you see how many different bands had the Wrecking Crew actually playing it becomes a moot point.

Exactly. As I was posting I had thought about this as well. I'm guessing (please correct me if I'm wrong) that people may have been more aware of this with the Monkees than with other groups, plus with them having been formed for a tv show it also hurt their credibility. But by the time I became aware of these things, I already thought that their records were great, and really didn't care about how the group was formed or how their records were made.

February 22, 2019 2:26 pm  #10

absolutely

February 24, 2019 7:00 pm  #11

The moderator of my local radio forum posted the following story yesterday ... I wasn't familiar with it, and thought it might be of interest to others here.

My favourite Monkees story hasn't got anything to do with Tork. When they were first starting the TV show, the group would film all day and then head to the recording studio at night. Micky Dolenz recalls the evening he came in to sing "Last Train To Clarksville," their first hit single. 

Lyricist Bobby Hart had actually written words to the middle of the song, but there were a lot of them, they were relatively complicated, and Dolenz was there after midnight trying to lay down the vocals. He complained that he was exhausted and didn't have time to learn all the lyrics, so he just sang the "do-do-do-do-do-do-do-do-do-do-do" part instead - and that's the version that was released.

I have been trying to find out what those missing words were for years, but
 apparently it's been lost to history. 

Last edited by Lorne (February 24, 2019 7:02 pm)

February 24, 2019 10:14 pm  #12

We're depending on you Lorne!

February 25, 2019 6:01 am  #13

Lorne wrote:

The moderator of my local radio forum posted the following story yesterday ... I wasn't familiar with it, and thought it might be of interest to others here.

My favourite Monkees story hasn't got anything to do with Tork. When they were first starting the TV show, the group would film all day and then head to the recording studio at night. Micky Dolenz recalls the evening he came in to sing "Last Train To Clarksville," their first hit single. 

Lyricist Bobby Hart had actually written words to the middle of the song, but there were a lot of them, they were relatively complicated, and Dolenz was there after midnight trying to lay down the vocals. He complained that he was exhausted and didn't have time to learn all the lyrics, so he just sang the "do-do-do-do-do-do-do-do-do-do-do" part instead - and that's the version that was released.

I have been trying to find out what those missing words were for years, but
 apparently it's been lost to history. 

I never knew this!  Very interesting.  It seems like he made a great decision because the dododos sound like that's the way the song should be.

February 25, 2019 6:38 am  #14

Yes, when I read this story, I thought about that portion of the song ... and I agree, what Dolenz did sounded completely natural and worked very well. I also think that it took some talent on his part to pull this off, especially given that the song wasn't originally written that way. 

Board footera