The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 29, 2020 10:47 pm  #1

Helen Reddy, singer behind feminist anthem 'I Am Woman,' dies at 78

Helen Reddy, the 1970s pop star and cultural icon behind the hit song "I Am Woman," has died at 78.

Reddy died Tuesday afternoon at her home in Los Angeles. Her children, Traci Donat and Jordan Summers, confirmed the news on Reddy's official Facebook page, writing, ″It is with deep sadness that we announce the passing of our beloved mother, Helen Reddy, on the afternoon of September 29th 2020 in Los Angeles. She was a wonderful Mother, Grandmother and a truly formidable woman. Our hearts are broken. But we take comfort in the knowledge that her voice will live on forever.″

https://ew.com/music/helen-reddy-dead-i-am-woman-singer-dies-78/

September 30, 2020 5:14 am  #2

Re: Helen Reddy, singer behind feminist anthem 'I Am Woman,' dies at 78

She certainly had a string of hits.   She helped shaped the 70s.  Not a bad thing to be remembered by "I Am Woman."

Last edited by It's me Karen (September 30, 2020 5:15 am)

September 30, 2020 2:28 pm  #3

Yeah, what's interesting is the Burger King commercial that spun off of that, I Am Man:

And as Arte Johnson used to say (Laugh-In) "Very interesting..."

September 30, 2020 3:00 pm  #4

It's not surprising that they continually reference "I Am Woman," because it's her signature song. But she had so many more hits, and as important as that anthem was, I think her later stuff was better.

"Ruby Red Dress" (aka "Leave Me Alone") was a great tune. So was the very weird "Angie Baby." And "Delta Dawn." I like "Ain't' No Way To Treat A Lady," and the seldom played "Keep On Singing." Anyone else remember "Peaceful," another tune that you rarely hear any more? Or "Somewhere In The Night?"

Anyway, the point is she was far more than just the feminist theme song she's being remembered for today. Thought that was worth noting. 

Board footera