The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 29, 2020 1:33 pm  #1

Dyer Maker, The Real Bobbi McGee & Who Was The Beatles' "Michelle?"

I came across a number of what I think are pretty interesting articles of the stories behind some of the biggest hits of the 60s and 70s. 

In the first one, how do you pronounce the title of Led Zeppelin's classic  "D'yer Mak'er?" According to the band, you've probably been saying it wrong all these years. 

Who was Bobbi McGee in Kris Kristofferson's classic tune? Turns out, there really was one - with a little creative spelling involved.

And finally, Michelle was Paul McCartney's "Ma Belle," but who was the title character of the song based on?

Last edited by aflem (September 29, 2020 1:34 pm)

September 30, 2020 5:30 am  #2

Re: Dyer Maker, The Real Bobbi McGee & Who Was The Beatles' "Michelle?"

Very interesting stories:

!. Yes, I pronounced D'yer Mak'er as Dire Maker.  It's in the top 10 of my favorite Led Zeppelin songs.
2. The first version I've heard of "Me and Bobby McGee" was by Janis and man, what a version!  The memory of kids in high school walking around the halls singing the la la da da da verse is priceless.
3. It's nice to know who is behind Michelle.  Always thought it was someone one of them grew up with.

October 1, 2020 12:38 am  #3

Re: Dyer Maker, The Real Bobbi McGee & Who Was The Beatles' "Michelle?"

I do believe that Roger Miller was the first to record "..Bobbi McGee".  His version also had the long ending.  He got it up to #12 on the Billboard Country chart in September of '69.

Board footera