The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 2, 2020 2:53 pm  #1

CKLW's Rosalie Trombley: Choosing the hits, crossing the border

In the history of Motown Records, there are more than a few connections to Canada – and that’s leaving aside the fact that it’s just across the Detroit River. 
Still, the single most important Canadian for Motown was a woman not in its employ, but whose position and influence were responsible for the sales of millions of its records – on both sides of the border – during the late 1960s and through the ’70s. Rosalie Trombley was her name.
https://www.adampwhite.com/westgrandblog/the-big-8

Last edited by Lorne (November 4, 2020 9:35 am)

November 2, 2020 11:44 pm  #2

Re: CKLW's Rosalie Trombley: Choosing the hits, crossing the border

After my 7 - 12 mid. shift at WSLR in Cleveland, I frequently tuned in to the "Big 8" on the way home.  NO question, it was a solid Top 40 boomer, very influential around the Great Lakes region.  Interesting read!!

November 3, 2020 9:02 am  #3

Very interesting article.  As everyone knows, I was a huge CKLW fan...but...I was also a channel changer.  I remember WKNR very well.  I don't want to neglect mentioning Toledo radio, WOHO, WTOD and WTTO.  Yet, CK was the premier station for me.  I am so grateful for that station (perhaps specifically Rosalie Trombley )  for giving me an extensive knowledge and love for Motown music.

November 4, 2020 4:16 am  #4

indeed most interesting and informative, to be sure. however the header was a bit misleading, at least to me.

while i had no idea of rosalie, or what she would have had to do with it, i assumed i was about to read something regarding the legendary oakland, california, horn band named tower of power.

November 4, 2020 9:50 am  #5

You make a very good point, goph. This article had been posted on my local radio forum by the moderator, but with a subject line that made it clear that it was about Rosalie Trombley (who is very well-known in radio circles). When I post articles here I usually like to just use the headline for the subject line, but I should have come up with a better one in this case. So I've changed it now, and I'll keep what you said in mind for any future articles that I post where the headline might not be the best to use here. Thanks. 

November 5, 2020 3:21 am  #6

Lorne wrote:

You make a very good point, goph. This article had been posted on my local radio forum by the moderator, but with a subject line that made it clear that it was about Rosalie Trombley (who is very well-known in radio circles). When I post articles here I usually like to just use the headline for the subject line, but I should have come up with a better one in this case. So I've changed it now, and I'll keep what you said in mind for any future articles that I post where the headline might not be the best to use here. Thanks. 

aw, you didn't really need to do that. i'd have read the story in any case, and tower of power did get my attention after all. my bad, i shouldn't jump to conclusions. your attention, however, is always greatly appreciated, lorne.

and by the way, even though they're relatively youngies, any time you can work wide mouth mason into a header, please do  8^}

Last edited by gopher (November 5, 2020 3:57 am)

November 5, 2020 8:25 am  #7

No problem, goph. Thing is, the headline made me think of the Tower of Power band as well, and so even though I knew it was about Trombley I didn't think that it was a good headline myself. I did make a point of posting enough of a preview of the article to show that it was about Trombley, but just didn't think about the fact that the subject line would still be misleading. However, what I didn't mention is that Boardhost has a limit on the length of subject lines that I've run into a number of times with headlines, so what I did like about the headline was that it was short. ☺ Anyway, it was easy enough to fix, and I thought that it was worth doing. Thanks again. 

November 5, 2020 12:17 pm  #8

Lorne wrote:

No problem, goph. Thing is, the headline made me think of the Tower of Power band as well, and so even though I knew it was about Trombley I didn't think that it was a good headline myself. I did make a point of posting enough of a preview of the article to show that it was about Trombley, but just didn't think about the fact that the subject line would still be misleading. However, what I didn't mention is that Boardhost has a limit on the length of subject lines that I've run into a number of times with headlines, so what I did like about the headline was that it was short. ☺ Anyway, it was easy enough to fix, and I thought that it was worth doing. Thanks again. 

yes, i've noticed the shortage of header space as well. perhaps leaving out vowels, as the kids do, might be a solution?

KPNRCKNG

November 5, 2020 12:53 pm  #9

I debated about whether to mention the subject line limit because I figured it was probably mostly just happening to me, because of my preference to use article headlines instead of coming up a subject line myself. What I've also found odd is that usually Boardhost will just truncate any characters at the end right away; however, occasionally it will initially allow some extra characters but then stop the message from being posted, and then I have to figure out how much to whittle the subject line down. Out of curiosity I just did a test, and I found that the limit is 70 characters.

Board footera