The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 10, 2020 10:11 am  #1

"Of The Big Lake They Call Gitche Gumee"

It was 45 years ago on this date November 10th 1975 that the American lake boat Edmund Fitzgerald sank in Lake Superior.

29 lives lost 

Forever memorialized by Gordon Lightfoot 

November 11, 2020 3:37 pm  #2

Re: "Of The Big Lake They Call Gitche Gumee"

One of the most haunting songs.  Ever.

November 11, 2020 6:23 pm  #3

It's me Karen wrote:

One of the most haunting songs.  Ever.

I agree. 

November 12, 2020 6:05 pm  #4

I was going to college in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, a hop, skip and jump from where the horrific tragedy occurred and we heard it on the news. WOW!  Unbelievable!!  But we knew about he the northern winds that can be very nasty.  Lightfoot, IMHO, is by far and away, underestimated as an artist and singer/songwriter.  Of the +250 he wrote and recorded, I can count on one hand how many recordings he has released which he DID NOT write, including Kris Kristofferson's famed Me & Bobby McGee.  A few weeks ago watched "Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind," a documentary, on Amazon Prime about Lightfoot's career, focusing some on his personal life, mostly on his music and how his music fit into his life.  I learned some things - did not know he and Dylan were so tight.  Admittedly, I've not attended many concerts, but made it a point, when I could, to see him in concert twice.  Again, a perfectionist and he's better on stage, impromptu, than his recordings.  I last saw him back in 1976, in his prime.  Musical perfectionist and truly a Canadian patriot!!  I have virtually all of his recordings and play them frequently.  One song, that I found ONLY on YouTube, a great traditional fokl song, "Farewell Nova Scotia," (aka "Nova Scotia Farewell" ???) he performed while in England when he was a guiest on a TV show.  I REALLY wish he would have recorded that.  I saw Lightfoot in an interview and he was questioned as to why he never recorded that.  He said he couldn't do the justice to it that Ian & Sylvia did.  Now, that's humility. 

Last edited by Little Rich (November 12, 2020 6:17 pm)

November 13, 2020 9:59 am  #5

Gordon's songs almost always make me melancholy.  There's such a different sound to his music. I can't pinpoint it but when listening to it, I feel like I'm a million miles away.  Like I'm protected, yet scared and homesick. And although I mentioned above that the Edmund Fitzgerald song is the most haunting, I find that many of his songs are haunting as well. He's an important musician to our era.

Last edited by It's me Karen (November 14, 2020 9:59 am)

November 14, 2020 1:34 am  #6

It's me Karen wrote:

Gordon's songs almost always make me melancholy.  There's such a different sound to his music. I can't pinpoint it but when listening to it, I feel like a a million miles away.  Like I'm protected, yet scared and homesick. And although I mentioned above that the Edmund Fitzgerald song is the most haunting, I find that many of his songs are haunting as well. He's an important musician to our era.

Totally, Karen, Totally!!

November 14, 2020 8:43 pm  #7

I have been on YouTube researching what people's comments are re: Lightfoot's great ballad.  One of the comments sent me off for more answers to questions.  Apparently, two of the 29 deceased crewmen on the Fitzgerald were cadets from the Great Lakes Marine Academy (GLMA) based in Traverse City, MI. Lightfoot donated $10,000 towards scholarships in those two men's names.  That wasn't enough - In 1999, Lightfoot designated a portion of proceeds from sales of his D-18GL Gordon Lightfoot Limited Edition signature guitar to the scholarship fund. I priced that guitar: today's value: $6,500.  For every one sold, a portion of the sales goes to the scholarship fund.  I have no idea what proportion of the sales is designated.
Karen: One of the comments on YouTube came a from a Canadian who lived in Saulte Ste. Marie, Ontario.  He was reflecting on that shipwreck and used your word: "haunting"

November 15, 2020 8:08 am  #8

Our area, Northwest Ohio,  remembers this catastrophe every year.  There were some crew members from this area.  The Fitzgerald usually ferried iron ore from Minnesota to Toledo.  The cook, "Fellas, it's too rough to feed ya", was from Toledo.

As an afterthought,  Friday I listened to many of Gordon's songs.  How I described earlier how I feel when listening to his music is still there.  I hope that never changes in me.

Board footera