The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 21, 2020 8:51 pm  #1

The Replacements' Parody of Bob Dylan's "Like A Rolling Stone"

The Replacements, not-even-one-hit wonder (1 song charting #51) band from Minneapolis, MN included Paul Westerberg, singer/songwriter, guitarist and pianist. They were in a recording studio when Westerberg got to clowning around and started singing a parody of Bob Dylan’s “Like A Rolling Stone”.  Westerberg's parody, "Like A Rolling Pin," uses Dylan's melody but paraphrased some of Dylan's lyrics.  They are in a recording studio while, unbeknownst to them, Dylan is nearby in another studio.  Dylan hears the parody and visits while Westerberg is wailing out the parody, never seeing Dylan until he's done with the parody.  This is a hoot!!
http://www.chimesfreedom.com/2016/11/22/famous-encounter-like-rolling-pin/

November 22, 2020 3:51 am  #2

Re: The Replacements' Parody of Bob Dylan's "Like A Rolling Stone"

i feel large! bob spoke to me once, and i got two more words than the replacements did.

November 22, 2020 9:46 am  #3

When Ron's Labor Day 500 came around, I usually put "Like A Rolling Stone" in my top ten.  I just listened to the Replacements' version.  I don't believe I ever heard it before.  I loved their version.  Very much.  I think I can come to the conclusion that "Like A Rolling Stone" is indeed a great song no matter who performs it.

November 22, 2020 11:21 am  #4

Back around the time of Dylan's big hit, the people at CHUM Radio in Toronto, a legendary Top 40 pioneer, came out with a bizarre parody of this song. Garry Ferrier was not only an occasional jock at the station, but also its creative director. He wrote and recorded this very strange single called "Like A Dribbling Fram," credited to the non-existent "Race Marbles."

Frankly, I don't think it's all that great, but it does show how radio has changed from back then. No station today would take the time or trouble to bother writing, producing or spending any money on this, let alone play it.

Not to sound like an old fogey, but just an honest observation - radio really was a lot more fun in those days. 

Board footera