The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 27, 2019 6:16 pm  #1

Just how good was Duane Eddy?

Both of my sons are accomplished guitar players but they owe none of that to their old man.  My knowledge of the instrument is rudimentary at best.  Now I've always enjoyed the majority of Eddy's output but to my ears it seems like  any decent guitarist given a twangy guitar and a Lee Hazlewood production could have become a star in their own right.  Do any of Duane's recordings require a mastery the likes of Clapton or Hendrix or could being in the right place at the right time made some of you folks rock n' roll icons?  

February 28, 2019 4:37 am  #2

Re: Just how good was Duane Eddy?

I grew up playing guitar to Duane Eddy's recordings and I agree that mastery of guitar was not needed to play along. However, Duane Eddy brought guitar as a lead instrument to the forefront of rock & roll and he went to great lengths to obtain the unique sound he had on his recordings (much more than just a simple twangy guitar). He created the simple licks in his iconic tunes that captivated an entire generation and he was the first "rock & roll guitar god" who inspired many to go on to become great guitarists. Simple, catchy guitar licks abound throughout rock tunes, easily played by anyone, but creating those licks is what sets someone apart from the rest - and Duane Eddy did that. He deserves credit for being a pioneer of rock & roll and for bringing guitar out to center stage.

February 28, 2019 12:58 pm  #3

Re: Just how good was Duane Eddy?

Thanks Tosh!  Great explanation proving that I underestimated Duane Eddy's contribution to instrumental rock.

Board footera