The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 26, 2020 1:33 am  #1

Sopwith Camel

Stumbled across a 45 that I enjoyed back in 1967 but hadn't heard or thought of since

Sopwith Camel & their single entitled Hello Hello

Enjoyed it back then & paid a visit to YouTube last night to conjure up the old memory banks

Still sounds good today with a touch of vaudeville to it

A poor cousin to Winchester Cathedral perhaps but enjoyable none the less

Anyone else get some listening pleasure from Hello Hello?

Last edited by unclefester (November 26, 2020 8:16 am)

November 26, 2020 8:03 am  #2

Re: Sopwith Camel

i remember the song somewhat, liking it, certainly. but what i remember most about sopwith camel is having read in goldmine, maybe relix, somewhere... a pretty strange and twisted tale as i remember, about what happened to the band during the time between the release of their first album and their second, something like six years later. can't say what happened, as i don't recall, but do remember thinking it was a pretty interesting story when i read it, however long ago that's been..

Last edited by gopher (November 26, 2020 8:13 am)

November 26, 2020 8:55 am  #3

I loved the song and loved singing to it. (still do) My mother loved it too...a plus in my book.

November 26, 2020 9:27 am  #4

I have this song on an old compilation album and it was always a fave of mine. But what really surprised me was that there's a spoken intro that no one ever hears in the 45 version that was released for radio play. I can see why they cut it off - it really doesn't add to to the tune and it's pretty bizarre. But it took me by surprise the first time I heard it, because I never knew it was there. You can hear it in the version below. 

As for the band itself, they broke up in 1967 after this song was released, reformed with a different sound in 1971 and then broke up again for good in 1974. Sounds like this Sopwith Camel did not have a smooth flight and crashed twice!

Wikipedia notes two members of the group played on Norman Greenbaum's Spirit In The Sky in 1969.

Now I invite you to have some of my tangerine...

November 26, 2020 6:31 pm  #5

Several years back, I was able to get ahold of drummer Norman Mayell and sent him a video of the group doing "Monkeys On The Moon".  In return, he sent me two different "Hello Hello" clips the band did on Where The Action Is.

Board footera