The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 26, 2020 12:43 pm  #1

Song of the summer the year you graduated high school

If you like lists (and you managed to graduate from high school!) you might like this story, that starts in 1958. 

Song of the summer the year you graduated high school

Conversely, this list begins all the way back in 1929. I'm guessing most of us weren't around then. 

Controversial songs from the year you were born

November 27, 2020 12:27 am  #2

Re: Song of the summer the year you graduated high school

It happened in July, 1960.  I had just joined the USAF and was in Basic Training (no radios allowed there) so it didn't affect me at that time.  But for sheer impact and influencing the country, "The Twist" by Chubby Checker hit the radio and suddenly grown adults were picking up on the current teen craze!!  That's the summer hit of 1960.

November 27, 2020 9:17 am  #3

The link above tells me the #1 song of my graduation year (1974) was "Annie's Song" by John Denver.  While I remember this song, I more often think of "Band On The Run" and "Midnight At The Oasis" .

November 27, 2020 1:25 pm  #4

I graduated in '66 and I would have chosen Paperback Writer or Paint It Black as my big fav and as for controversy I would have never heard of Nina Simon in '66 so I would have to choose Mother's Little Helper or They're Coming To Take Mw Away. 

November 27, 2020 3:33 pm  #5

It's me Karen wrote:

The link above tells me the #1 song of my graduation year (1974) was "Annie's Song" by John Denver.  While I remember this song, I more often think of "Band On The Run" and "Midnight At The Oasis" .

Likewise for me, except my go-to song was 'Radar Love'.

November 28, 2020 9:05 am  #6

Roman wrote:

It's me Karen wrote:

Likewise for me, except my go-to song was 'Radar Love'.

Oh yeah.  As a class, we kind of adopted "Smoke On The Water" and "Rocky Mountain Way" as ours.

November 28, 2020 9:07 am  #7

For 1974's controversial song, I'll say "The Streak" even though it was funny and probably not so offense to most people.

"Don't look, Ethel!"

Last edited by It's me Karen (November 28, 2020 9:08 am)

November 29, 2020 9:08 am  #8

It's me Karen wrote:

For 1974's controversial song, I'll say "The Streak" even though it was funny and probably not so offense to most people.

"Don't look, Ethel!"

How about Muskrat Love? Controversial only because it brought out the violent tendencies in some people, such as Neil Packman.

November 30, 2020 5:49 am  #9

Roman wrote:

It's me Karen wrote:

"Don't look, Ethel!"

How about Muskrat Love? Controversial only because it brought out the violent tendencies in some people, such as Neil Packman.

Hahaha You made my day.

Board footera