The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 4, 2020 10:19 pm  #1

A Hot 200 Album Chart Star!!

As the years have flown by, I reflect often on recordings I used to love but just show up now and then for me these days.  I do find it interesting what songs and artists I favor now that I also did years ago.  One that I especially enjoy listening to now was a big star on the LP charts, from March-1957 to December-1973.  He logged 50 albums (plus a few extra weeks for his Christmas releases) for a total of 1,121 Weeks.  He received 3 Platinum and 7 Gold RIAA awards with 12 making it to the Top 10.  He also landed 5 singles on the Hot 100 with one hitting the Top 10 and winning a Grammy award.  I speak of Ray Conniff, who was a mainstay of Columbia records for many years.  In his early years on the label he was the conductor backing up their stars, including Johnny Mathis, Guy Mitchell's #1 "Singing The Blues" and Marty Robbins' "A White Sport Coat".  His Top 10 single of course was "Somewhere My Love" in 1966.  Ray passed away in Nov. '02 but he left a lot of great music behind.  Favorites of mine include "Invisible Tears". "The Way You Look Tonight" and "Dancing In The Dark".  Best of all, he sounds just right on my car stereo, and that's what matters.

Board footera