The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 1, 2020 2:04 pm  #1

Ray Davies on 50 Years of ‘Lola’

From the New York Times, no less, comes a look back at a song that not even its creator realized was to become a musical milestone.  

Included in the story: why the Kinks were banned from America, who Lola may have really been, how a one-year-old child inspired that famous hook and whether the band's two warring brothers will ever reunite.

Ray Davies on 50 Years of ‘Lola’  

Also worth a read:

Why Ray Davies flew 26,000 km to save Lola

December 1, 2020 5:24 pm  #2

Re: Ray Davies on 50 Years of ‘Lola’

Lola Vs. Powerman And The Moneygoround was one of my favorite albums, although I didn't really get the l.p.'s concept at the time. I bought it for Lola and Apeman, but all of the other tracks are super catchy and I was pleased that Ray played a couple of deep tracks from it when I saw him about 10 years ago at a fairly intimate venue. He was doing his Storyteller shows where he would talk about the background to some of his hits. And he played all of the Kinks hits with one notable exception...Lola. Despite everyone in the house chanting Lo-la for an encore, Ray chose not to serve it up. I guess even Lola needs a night off once in a while.  

December 3, 2020 5:49 am  #3

just kinky trivia really, i suppose... some many years ago, i saw ray on the david letterman show. he asked ray if it was true that, in england, davies is pronounced "davis". ray said that it was so. first i'd heard of this, and took note.

yet, when i speak of either brother today, i'll generally use the 'dav-ease' variant regadless, hoping to avoid confusion, even while knowing that's incorrect according to a man whose name it is.

Last edited by gopher (December 3, 2020 6:22 am)

December 3, 2020 6:14 am  #4

And a kinky trivia morsel from me as well...

Tuesday I was watching Man vs Food on the Cooking Channel.  A segment of the show has a guy named Casey eating a huge serving of something and trying to eat it within a certain amount of time.  Well, he had to tackle a 4 lb. burrito named Lola.  As he was leaving the kitchen, he started reciting..."I'm not mathematical but I can't understand why.."  I knew that sounded familiar, but I wasn't quick enough to realize it was a verse to "Lola" and didn't listen to the rest of his joke.  He changed some of the words to fit the situation, but alas, I can't remember them.

December 4, 2020 4:05 pm  #5

Good catch Karen!  Kinks were under-rated - great music.  Arguably the first punk band. 

December 5, 2020 7:37 am  #6

Little Rich wrote:

Good catch Karen!  Kinks were under-rated - great music.  Arguably the first punk band. 

I agree.  Probably the biggest song we all love that we identify the Kinks with is "You Really Got Me", but I also really love "Tired of Waiting For You" and even more "Sunny Afternoon".

Board footera