The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 25, 2019 11:46 pm  #1

Jackie Shane, Transgender Pioneer of 1960s Soul Music, Dies at 78

Jackie Shane, a black transgender soul singer who packed nightclubs in 1960s Toronto before she stepped out of the spotlight for decades, only to re-emerge with a Grammy-nominated record in her 70s, has died. She was 78.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/22/obituaries/jackie-shane-dead.html

February 28, 2019 4:40 am  #2

Re: Jackie Shane, Transgender Pioneer of 1960s Soul Music, Dies at 78

She?  Yeah, really.  Jackie Shane, on Sue, had the original version (best) of Any Other Way.  Follow up was In My Tenement.  And vanished for many years, as did so many from those years.  And re-sufracedi  a couple recent stories, with the transgender thing  It had always been suggested Shane was gay or a female impersonator, .But what does that have to do with his/her ability to deliver the songs???? 

February 28, 2019 9:55 pm  #3

Yes, that was a killer song on Sue. I recall her being interviewed in the 60's on local TV. We probably had half a dozen channels at best back then. My old school Dad switched channels pretty quickly on the old remote just as I was starting to enjoy the interview.

March 1, 2019 3:22 am  #4

Jackie along with Shirley Matthews were "regulars" at the old Club Bluenote circa 61/62... Saw them a half dozen times.  

March 1, 2019 10:18 pm  #5

I never made it to the the Bluenote but it had some terrific performers. Sadly, Shirley is gone too. I did get to see Pat Hervey live at my HS. Another talented Toronto area act. She settled on the west coast but is gone now as well. I'll try not to post too many obit references in future but thanks for mentioning the bluenote. I did frequent Yorkville and the strip on Yonge where I could catch Ronnie Hawkins. We're talking mid 60's.

Board footera