The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 31, 2020 8:19 am  #1

When Auld Lang Syne Hit The Pop Charts - Sort Of

A site called FYImusicnews has a great story on how the otherwise obscure Auld Lang Syne became a staple of New Year's Eve, especially when performed by Guy Lombardo. It traces the rise of that bandleader and how he wound up being a NYE tradition.

‘Rabbie’ Burns, Guy Lombardo and Days of ‘Auld Lang Syne’

I could be wrong (and if so, I'm sure there are plenty who will rush to correct me) but I think Auld Lang Syne reached the Top 40 charts just once in all these years - and it wasn't even the main tune. It was a song by a doo-wop group called The G-Clefs and was called "I Understand," done to the tune of the New Year's melody. It reached #9 back in 1961. It's pretty depressing so I understand (see what I did there?) why it's not a year-end staple. 

But it seems like an appropriate song to play as the annus horribilis that was 2020 comes to an end. 

I wish all the Oldies posters a Happy (or at least a better) 2021!

December 31, 2020 8:59 am  #2

Re: When Auld Lang Syne Hit The Pop Charts - Sort Of

It's coincidental, but I was listening to my favourite jazz/soul show on Sunday and they closed with Kenny G.'s version of Auld Lang Syne. I looked it up and it did have some chart success.

December 31, 2020 9:22 am  #3

There was also Bobby Darin's Christmas Auld Lang Syne, which got to #51 in 1960. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgdg53B-lDc

December 31, 2020 10:18 am  #4

Of course this is a different style, yet the sentiment and the familiar tune ends the song, but Dan Fogelberg;s "Same Old Lang Syne" came to mind...as did roger as I wrote this.

January 2, 2021 5:11 am  #5

Picked up a Dan Fogelberg Best Of CD a few months ago and thought of Roger.  Must be a few years ago now he passed, , the years  seem to fly by  at turbo  speed past a  certain age.  Time of year  for thinking of people     that have  passed like Roger and Gator Rouge , Wes 50's and   Ron Smith of course.    Must say losing my wife a few months ago and  also  having my own close call last August   has made me very reflective . 

Last edited by Scotty (January 2, 2021 5:13 am)

January 2, 2021 11:25 am  #6

Thanks to both of you for your thoughtful posts, and for remembering people who used to post on the former board that we've lost over the years. And Scotty, I also think of your wife in that regard, because of the time that she posted on the board about your birthday -- resulting in a very nice surprise celebration for you there. My thoughts are with you during this holiday season, which I'm sure has been a difficult one for you. Another regular that we lost several years ago was Kris ... she was an excellent contributor to the board, and I also had the pleasure of getting to know her further by email and on Facebook.  

January 3, 2021 5:23 am  #7

Thank you for the kind words Lorne.   Yes it has been difficult , doubled by the fact it would have been her birthday this week, right on top of Christmas.

Last edited by Scotty (January 3, 2021 5:24 am)

Board footera