The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 29, 2020 12:25 pm  #1

Mystery song

I just found out about this search for a mystery song, and thought I'd pass it along in case anyone here might recognize it. 
https://www.ajournalofmusicalthings.com/heres-another-mystery-song-from-the-past-can-you-identify-it/

December 29, 2020 6:55 pm  #2

Re: Mystery song

I can't help you with an answer, but  I sure hope if you hear of anyone solving this mystery I hope you post it here.  My curiosity is going wild!

December 29, 2020 7:11 pm  #3

Yes, I will do that. Before I posted this, I had tried searching for it in a few ways that went beyond regular Google searches because I was intrigued by it as well. It sounded like a pretty decent song to me, and I could understand why the person who taped it would like to find out what it is. 

December 29, 2020 7:35 pm  #4

Anyone run it through Shazam?

December 29, 2020 8:02 pm  #5

Near the end of the article, Alan Cross mentions that he tried Shazam. I did try using Google's Search for a Song just in case that might work, but it didn't come up with anything either

December 29, 2020 9:31 pm  #6

In the smallest of ways, it sounds familiar to me.

December 29, 2020 10:18 pm  #7

The piano in the song reminds me of the piano in Jackson Browne's Doctor My Eyes. For a few seconds the vocal sounds a bit like Gerry Beckley of America. I know it's neither of them, but I sure do like what I heard of that song. Very catchy.

December 31, 2020 5:24 pm  #8

Great song as everyone pointed out.  Has a mellow, easy listening melody from the 60s.  I, too, am curious as to who the mystery musician(s) is/are.

December 31, 2020 5:42 pm  #9

In my opinion, the fact that the song sounds so good should increase the chances that someone will remember it if this clip is circulated widely enough. There are songs that I barely heard played many years ago that I can still remember well enough if I hear them, or even just read about them, and I've been able to solve a few mysteries for people as a result. I think that if I had ever heard that song get airplay, it would have stayed with me -- that's how much I like it. 

January 3, 2021 12:22 am  #10

A regular named Fitz on my local radio/tv forum posted tonight that someone came up with the answer on the Steve Hoffman Music Forums. The song is called The Livin' And The Dyin' and it's by Jim Dawson. You can hear the song at http://www.jimdawson.com/livin.html. Very glad to see this mystery has finally been solved. 

January 3, 2021 10:04 pm  #11

Lorne wrote:

A regular named Fitz on my local radio/tv forum posted tonight that someone came up with the answer on the Steve Hoffman Music Forums. The song is called The Livin' And The Dyin' and it's by Jim Dawson. You can hear the song at http://www.jimdawson.com/livin.html. Very glad to see this mystery has finally been solved. 

Bravo to the power of the Internet!! So glad I could hear the whole song. I really like it. In fact I like a lot of the music on his web site. He wrote some very fine songs. Too bad he didn't get the big break that some of the others in his day got. I think his music would have fared well on the charts if he'd had a bit of promotion.

January 4, 2021 1:22 am  #12

Thanks Lorne.  I am really glad to hear the whole song.  IMHO Jim Dawson has a lot of talent.  Great song!!

January 4, 2021 1:48 am  #13

Upon research, I discovered none of his stuff, primarily from the mid-70s, is digitized.  I have ordered both the "Essential Jim Dawson" and the Elephant In The Rain" both in very good condition vinyl.  I am looking forward to getting the albums.

Last edited by Little Rich (January 4, 2021 1:52 am)

January 4, 2021 5:59 am  #14

For some reason, I can't get into the link.  I'll listen later.  I'm so glad this mystery is solved.  I actually thought I may have known the singer.  The guitar seemed very familiar to me.  But, looks like I was wrong.

January 4, 2021 7:16 am  #15

I'd never heard of Jim Dawson so I read his bio on Allmusic. About the most interesting thing about the guy is that in the 60's he played in a band called Good Earth, which also included Oliver ("Good Morning Starshine") among its members. We haven't had a rousing discussion about Oliver in ages.

January 4, 2021 8:55 am  #16

It's me Karen wrote:

For some reason, I can't get into the link.  I'll listen later.  I'm so glad this mystery is solved.  I actually thought I may have known the singer.  The guitar seemed very familiar to me.  But, looks like I was wrong.

It's also available on YouTube in case that helps any. 

January 4, 2021 3:42 pm  #17

Roman wrote:

I'd never heard of Jim Dawson so I read his bio on Allmusic. About the most interesting thing about the guy is that in the 60's he played in a band called Good Earth, which also included Oliver ("Good Morning Starshine") among its members. We haven't had a rousing discussion about Oliver in ages.

Boy, did I read about the wrong Jim Dawson...this one wrote Who Cut The Cheese?  and other similar types of flatulent humor.  At first I was trying to figure out why he sang such a tender song with a background like that.  

January 4, 2021 3:43 pm  #18

Lorne wrote:

It's me Karen wrote:

It's also available on YouTube in case that helps any. 

That's a good song.  And I still feel like I've heard it before.

January 4, 2021 6:30 pm  #19

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I clicked on the link, and if the remainder of the song is as painful as the first fifteen seconds, I can understand why it didn't go anywhere. I'm sure if had come across my desk in 1975 (and it very well might have), I'd have given it a pass. 

January 5, 2021 1:58 pm  #20

It's me Karen wrote:

Roman wrote:

Boy, did I read about the wrong Jim Dawson...this one wrote Who Cut The Cheese?  and other similar types of flatulent humor.  At first I was trying to figure out why he sang such a tender song with a background like that.  

There's a bio page on the singer's site, which I would have passed along yesterday except that I kept finding that the site was down. Maybe I should have warned you that if you used Wikipedia in this case (which I had originally done myself), you'd end up with someone who might have more logically recorded Classical Gas. Anyway, the singer's bio is at http://www.jimdawson.com/biojim.html if you're interested in reading more about him. And it does mention him being in Good Earth with Bill "Oliver" Swofford. 

Board footera