The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 3, 2021 2:49 pm  #1

Study: Your favorite pop songs likely trace from when you were 14

I'm not sure I entirely buy this research - most of my favorite songs come from the 60s, before I hit age 14 - but it's still kind of an interesting thesis from a British university. 

Your favorite pop songs are likely chart songs from when you were 14

January 3, 2021 4:55 pm  #2

Re: Study: Your favorite pop songs likely trace from when you were 14

I have fond memories of songs at an early age 6- 12, because of my dad or mom  being amused at them. Long Tall Sally, Alley Oop being two my dad laughed at and Carolina Moon and a few others my mom used to sing. But for the most part those bumps were a few years later, say, '64. 
As Jim said, I should add that my mom & dad loved music so I heard a lot of big band.

Last edited by memphis boy (January 8, 2021 6:40 pm)

January 3, 2021 5:17 pm  #3

Interesting study, though for me my favourite music was in 1963 through 1965 from age 10 to 12. I think a lot of what made an impression on me as much as the music was the medium I was hearing it on. The excitement of radio reflected the excitement of the music, or maybe vice-versa. And of course in 1964 the Beatles were a huge influence in the music I enjoyed. By the time I was 14 in 1967 I'd say my musical tastes were definitely maturing as I think was much of the music.

January 3, 2021 10:46 pm  #4

That would be 1972 for me.  While I do love plenty of music from that year, I probably listen to 1968 - 1971 songs more these days.       Will say though that the earlier songs  don't have the memories attached to them that the songs when I was 14 do.

January 4, 2021 6:23 pm  #5

When I look at the year-end top 50 chart for 1958, the year I turned 14, I must agree with the article.  That year saw a rich musical variety make the charts... everything from rock & roll to ballads, big bands, gospel, country, instrumentals and comedy. I believe AM radio was nearing it's peak and radio jocks were becoming at least as popular as the music itself. It's the era that instilled an appreciation of ALL genres of music in me.

January 4, 2021 9:20 pm  #6

That study certainly didn't include me.  My Dad loved music and so we had a lot of music around the house and I gained some all-time favorites when I was 4 or 5 years old.  They include...
"Guitar Boogie" - Arthur Smith
"Boogie Woogie" - Tommy Dorsey
"Begin The Beguine" - Artie Shaw
"Cool Water" - Sons Of The Pioneers
"Goodnight Irene" - Weavers
They are all still favorites.  When they show up as I ramble through my CD collection, I'll always hit the button for one more replay.
Besides, when I turned 14, I was living on Guam and pop music was pretty scarce out there.

January 5, 2021 11:48 am  #7

I remember something similar to this research being mentioned on the former Oldies Music Bulletin Board, and how it didn't apply to me either. I was born in 1960 and grew up listening to top 40 music on CHUM, because my mother listened to it. But after 1970, I started to find that I wasn't liking what was on the charts nearly as much as I had enjoyed top 40 music from the late '50s to around 1970. There was still a lot of music that I liked in the 1970s, but there was also a lot more in the way of music that I was indifferent to or disliked compared to what had preceded it. 
However, I wouldn't be surprised if many of us aren't typical of what appeals to the average person. Most other teens that I knew were much more into what was current than I was, and so I think that the results of this study would be much more applicable to them. It's somewhat similar to how many of us would prefer oldies stations to have much wider playlists. As someone who used to work in market research, I don't doubt that they are relying on research that shows that a majority of people prefer to hear the big hits of the era much more than we want to ... I can recall reading about such research over the years as well.

January 5, 2021 6:41 pm  #8

Lorne wrote:

I remember something similar to this research being mentioned on the former Oldies Music Bulletin Board, and how it didn't apply to me either. I was born in 1960 and grew up listening to top 40 music on CHUM, because my mother listened to it. But after 1970, I started to find that I wasn't liking what was on the charts nearly as much as I had enjoyed top 40 music from the late '50s to around 1970. There was still a lot of music that I liked in the 1970s, but there was also a lot more in the way of music that I was indifferent to or disliked compared to what had preceded it. 
However, I wouldn't be surprised if many of us aren't typical of what appeals to the average person. Most other teens that I knew were much more into what was current than I was, and so I think that the results of this study would be much more applicable to them. It's somewhat similar to how many of us would prefer oldies stations to have much wider playlists. As someone who used to work in market research, I don't doubt that they are relying on research that shows that a majority of people prefer to hear the big hits of the era much more than we want to ... I can recall reading about such research over the years as well.

Another part of the equation:  the regional hot hits may not appear on CHUM or Billboard or any other Nationally recognized lists.

Board footera