The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 12, 2021 10:41 pm  #1

Ed Bruce RIP

Ed was the writer of Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys and See the Big Man Cry among many others.  From what I've been reading, he was in some kind of Maverick remake and other TV shows.  Guess I wasn't watching TV at that time, but it makes sense.  His image was very rugged and his voice was very masculine. 

January 12, 2021 11:51 pm  #2

Re: Ed Bruce RIP

Ed Bruce had a long and varied career as a singer, songwriter, actor and commercial spokesperson.  He landed 20 songs as a singer on the C&W Top 40 from 1975 to 1987.  He appeared on the "Country Family Reunion" shows a few times and was very interesting.

January 13, 2021 6:39 am  #3

I knew of Ed Bruce for a different reason.  I have owned a Jeep CJ since 1987 and ran across a show Truckin’ USA hosted by Ed Bruce.  As I remember, it was on the history chanel.

January 13, 2021 8:55 am  #4

My favorite song by him is Last Cowboy Song, which features a duet with Willie Nelson.

January 15, 2021 4:55 pm  #5

When I gradually switched from Mobile DJ to Karaoke Host a few years ago, I needed to learn a lot more about country music. One of the artists that came to my attention was Ed Bruce and his song "My First Taste Of Texas" which I thought was a great composition, and one that I like to sing to this day. Both his compositions and his vocals have been important contributions to the genre. I never knew of his acting credits, but with his natural gravelly speaking voice, I'm not surprised.  Another top-notch country artist lost to Father Time. R.I.P. Mr. Bruce.

January 15, 2021 11:14 pm  #6

"See The Big Man Cry" sung by Ed Bruce first came out in 1963 and was played by some Top 40 stations. I have the 45 on the Reo label. Reo was a Canadian label.

January 17, 2021 8:30 pm  #7

The American label of release was Wand

Board footera