The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 17, 2021 10:42 am  #1

Phil Spector Has Passed

News is just now breaking about the death of Phil Spector

His death was apparently COVID related 

Spector was serving a prison sentence for murder but passed in hospital

A checkered history to be sure 

But there is no denying his impact on music

January 17, 2021 4:21 pm  #2

Re: Phil Spector Has Passed

I honestly wasn't aware he played a part in helping produce John Lennon's "Imagine."

From Billboard Magazine: 

10 Signature Phil Spector Productions, From Darlene Love To The Beatles

January 17, 2021 4:45 pm  #3

Ronnie sez "he was a brilliant producer but a lousy husband".      No kidding, eh?

January 18, 2021 12:17 am  #4

The whole Phil Spector story is just plain sad.  He left behind so much great music.  His early to mid 1960's "Wall of Sound" releases were always on the charts.  Some noteworthy hits included "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'", named as the most played record on the radio for the 20th Century.  "A Christmas Gift For You" is still a favorite LP of mine 57 years after it came out.  I especially like the "Bells Of St. Mary" track.  Be sure to add his brief appearance in the movie "Easy Rider" to his many credits.

January 18, 2021 9:52 am  #5

One can't deny his brilliant work.  I was in elementary school when I first heard The Righteous Brothers sing "You've Lost That Loving Feeling".  It was haunting.  I knew it was different and was gravitating me to another level,  but my young mind didn't know exactly what was behind that sound, what I was experiencing.  To this day I can't describe it.  Wall of Sound is probably the best description I've ever heard.

January 18, 2021 11:36 am  #6

Jim Southern wrote:

Be sure to add his brief appearance in the movie "Easy Rider" to his many credits.

I wasn't aware of another movie he tried to make - but failed. 

Remembering Phil Spector’s Career-Ending ‘The Last Movie’

There's no denying his talent and innovations, but from everything I've ever read about the guy, ironically, To Know Him Was NOT To Love Him.

Board footera