The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 19, 2021 11:38 pm  #1

Jimmie Rodgers, Early Rock ‘n’ Roll Star, Dies at 87

Jimmie Rodgers, who scored a #1 pop hit with “Honeycomb,” and went to earn another four Top 10 pop singles, died yesterday (January 18, 2021). The news of his death at age 87 was announced by his daughter, Michele Rodgers, who wrote, “He was my 1st great love, my best friend & now my greatest loss.” (Rodgers is not related to Jimmie C. Rodgers, who is often referred to as the “father of country music.” The latter died in 1933 at age 35.)  Neither the cause nor place of death was revealed.
https://bestclassicbands.com/jimmie-rodgers-obituary-pop-singer-honeycomb-1-19-21/

January 20, 2021 12:36 am  #2

Re: Jimmie Rodgers, Early Rock ‘n’ Roll Star, Dies at 87

Jimmie spent about an hour at my radio station (KMOR, SLC, UT) back in 1966 visiting with us.  A very pleasant afternoon indeed.  Back on the other board, there was much discussion concerning Jimmie and his head injury but since he lived to 87 I guess he got through it.  One of my favorite memories of Jimmie was in September of 1964, I was on my way to Butte, MT from L.A. to work at KXLF-AM.  I must have heard Jimmie's "The World I Used To Know" at least 7 times during my trip and it still brings back the delightful memories of my youth setting off to visit the world.
Jimmie put 25 songs on the 'Hot 100' from 1957 - 1967.  Thank you Jimmie for lots of great listening and memories.  RIP

January 20, 2021 12:10 pm  #3

Re: Jimmie Rodgers, Early Rock ‘n’ Roll Star, Dies at 87

So very sorry to read this

Jimmie Rodgers & Gerry Marsden both gone about a week apart

Loved them both

Board footera