The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 23, 2021 11:08 am  #1

Rarest Record

I just finished Robert Lawson's book "Wheatfield Empire: A Listener's Guide To The Guess Who", a good read which has detailed info on all of the band's recordings. One of the more interesting tidbits that I picked up on was about the track 'Hey Rockers' from their 1972 album Rockin'. The track is basically a dialogue between lead singer Burton Cummings and the album engineer, as they suck back on what sounds like a couple of sodas while listening to a jukebox playing 'Sea Of Love'. The problem is that Cummings couldn't secure the use of the original Phil Phillips song, so The Guess Who re-recorded it and pressed it on a 45 so that it could actually be played on a jukebox for the recording of 'Hey Rockers'. Burton has the only copy of the record in existence, although you can hear it on the 2010 reissue of Rockin' on the Iconoclassic label. The Five Sharps' 'Stormy Weather' ain't got nothin' on this sucker.  https://ibb.co/8mfFC7R

Last edited by Roman (January 23, 2021 11:19 am)

January 26, 2021 2:58 am  #2

Re: Rarest Record

Would they have pressed just one copy? Or is it an acetate? I own a lot of literally one of a kind items.

Tom Diehl

January 26, 2021 8:01 am  #3

Re: Rarest Record

StereoTom wrote:

Would they have pressed just one copy? Or is it an acetate? I own a lot of literally one of a kind items.

It's an acetate. Based on the picture in my link, the record appears to be, at least  to my eyes, a little smaller than your average 45.

Board footera