The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 31, 2021 12:30 am  #1

Useless Bits of Trivia

I've always wondered about who the musicians were who performed memorable breaks on some of my favorite oldies.  In fact, it occurs to me that some of those might not have been hits if it were not for those unique sounds. I did a little research and managed to identify several of these artists, but there's one that has me completely stymied..

There was:
Melvin Lastie's understated coronet solo on Barbara George's "I Know"
Delbert McClinton's harmonica on Bruce Channel's "Hey Baby"
Carol Kayne's bass on Sonny & Cher's "The Beat Goes On"
Romeo Penque did that incredible sax break on Ben E. King's "Spanish Harlem"
and Wayne Bennett's beautiful guitar solo on Bobby Bland's "Stormy Monday Blues"
BUT
The one I've never been able to find information about is the speeded up sax solo at the end of Sheb Wooley's "Purple People Eater".  Does anyone here know who that might have been?

I think I may have asked the question on the old board, but can't remember.

E.

January 31, 2021 9:40 am  #2

Re: Useless Bits of Trivia

Cloud9 wrote:

I've always wondered about who the musicians were who performed memorable breaks on some of my favorite oldies.  In fact, it occurs to me that some of those might not have been hits if it were not for those unique sounds. I did a little research and managed to identify several of these artists, but there's one that has me completely stymied..

There was:
Melvin Lastie's understated coronet solo on Barbara George's "I Know"
Delbert McClinton's harmonica on Bruce Channel's "Hey Baby"
Carol Kayne's bass on Sonny & Cher's "The Beat Goes On"
Romeo Penque did that incredible sax break on Ben E. King's "Spanish Harlem"
and Wayne Bennett's beautiful guitar solo on Bobby Bland's "Stormy Monday Blues"
BUT
The one I've never been able to find information about is the speeded up sax solo at the end of Sheb Wooley's "Purple People Eater".  Does anyone here know who that might have been?

I think I may have asked the question on the old board, but can't remember.

E.

I have no idea if it's accurate, but this site indicates the sax guy's name was Plas Johnson. If you look him up on Wikipedia it seems as if he could be a likely candidate as he played on a ton of stuff in the '50's and 60's.
https://sites.google.com/site/greatestsaxsolos/home/purple-people-eater

January 31, 2021 10:03 am  #3

Thanks Roman...  I'll go along with that.  Plas Johnson it is.

Thanks again.

E.

January 31, 2021 6:34 pm  #4

Plas Johnson was indeed a player back then.  My guess to his most famous gig was his work on the "Pink Panther Theme".  Also his name should be added to my list of Sax players in my recent post!!

February 9, 2021 1:44 pm  #5

WOW!  Delbert and Wayne Bennett - you know your stuff!

Board footera