The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 3, 2021 3:51 pm  #1

What Would Have Happened Had Buddy Holly Lived?

It's complete speculation of course, but every time the anniversary of the Day The Music Died comes around (Feb. 3rd marks 62 years) I often wonder what would have happened if Buddy Holly had lived. Would he still have been worshipped as an icon, like Chuck Berry? Or would his career have been wiped out on the heels of the Beatles (who he ironically helped inspire) and the British invasion? 

It's impossible to say, but would Holly's career have continued into the 60s and beyond had he not gotten onto that plane that day in Clear Lake (the site of which is now a tourist attraction to some)? Perhaps he would have morphed into a great producer or songwriter. Or would he have been consigned to the oldies circuit, still playing "Peggy Sue" into his 70s and 80s, or worse, fading away into obscurity?

My personal opinion is the latter, but it would certainly have been interesting if he could have met the Fab Four as they were hitting the big time. We'll never know, but what might have been, might have been great. 

February 3, 2021 6:53 pm  #2

Re: What Would Have Happened Had Buddy Holly Lived?

The guys prefer Buddy, the girls prefer Elvis.  The guys spend their money on gas, the girls spend their money on records.  Elvis wins, Buddy loses. 

Last edited by Taz (February 3, 2021 6:54 pm)

February 3, 2021 7:19 pm  #3

Individuals who were 12 - 16 years old in 1957/8/9 remember both Elvis & Buddy as icons.     It's about demographics & has nothing to do with whether you are male or female or blew your dough on gas or clothing   

February 4, 2021 2:06 am  #4

My guess is that sooner or later. Buddy would have ventured into Country Music, either as a performer or as a producer. Since Buddy was from Texas, he surely would joined his fellow Texans like the 'Big Bopper' (writer of the George Jones hit "White Lightning') and Jimmy Bowen (who helped Garth Brooks get started).

February 4, 2021 9:06 am  #5

I would have to agree with Jim. I was 10 in '58 and certainly knew Elvis but had never heard of Buddy.

February 4, 2021 6:24 pm  #6

aflem wrote:

It's complete speculation of course, but every time the anniversary of the Day The Music Died comes around (Feb. 3rd marks 62 years) I often wonder what would have happened if Buddy Holly had lived. Would he still have been worshipped as an icon, like Chuck Berry? Or would his career have been wiped out on the heels of the Beatles (who he ironically helped inspire) and the British invasion? 

It's impossible to say, but would Holly's career have continued into the 60s and beyond had he not gotten onto that plane that day in Clear Lake (the site of which is now a tourist attraction to some)? Perhaps he would have morphed into a great producer or songwriter. Or would he have been consigned to the oldies circuit, still playing "Peggy Sue" into his 70s and 80s, or worse, fading away into obscurity?

My personal opinion is the latter, but it would certainly have been interesting if he could have met the Fab Four as they were hitting the big time. We'll never know, but what might have been, might have been great. 

oh no! if holly had lived, he would have opened a used furniture store in billings, montana, while selling skateboards to rodeo clowns on the side. i'm certain this is correct.

Last edited by gopher (February 4, 2021 6:26 pm)

February 4, 2021 7:27 pm  #7

G. wrote:

Individuals who were 12 - 16 years old in 1957/8/9 remember both Elvis & Buddy as icons.     It's about demographics & has nothing to do with whether you are male or female or blew your dough on gas or clothing   

You need to reread what I posted

Taz wrote:

... the girls spend their money on records. .... 

The girls spent money on records providing cash for the artist and label as well as advancing the song and artist up the charts.  That’s exactly what it’s about.

They both aimed for the same demographics groups but Elvis appealed more to the one who would actually support him with money.

I’m not sure why you think gender is not a demographic but it’s not really important.

Board footera