The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 4, 2021 11:14 am  #1

Songwriter Behind Gladys Knight & Pips Classics Has Passed

He many not have been a household name to oldies fans (although I loved his 70's tune "The Need To Be,") but Jim Weatherly wrote some iconic tunes that will last forever as classics and made huge stars out of Gladys Knight and The Pips: "Midnight Train To Georgia," "You're The Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me," and "Neither One Of Us."

And those are just some of the titles you'll recognize. The list of artists who covered his songs, on both the rock and country charts, fills up an entire paragraph. 

Weatherly passed away on Wednesday at age 77. No cause of death was given. But he sure left behind some unforgettable music.

Songwriting Great Jim Weatherly Passes

February 4, 2021 5:11 pm  #2

Re: Songwriter Behind Gladys Knight & Pips Classics Has Passed

Seems only appropriate that this would turn up online: the story behind "Midnight Train To Georgia." 

Turns out Weatherly originally called it "Midnight Plane To Houston," and you may never believe which real life Hollywood star couple inspired it.

Behind The Song: Gladys Knight & The Pips, “Midnight Train To Georgia” by Jim Weatherly

February 4, 2021 5:13 pm  #3

I saw this in the comments section of the article above. It happened many years ago on the short-lived Richard Pryor Show that ran on NBC. One night, he had on the Pips - without Gladys Knight. They performed some of their hits - but only their parts! A truly original idea. 

February 4, 2021 11:11 pm  #4

This is really hard for me to take!. I just loved him, and had been thinking of him just a few days ago  I lived for awhile in Tupelo,MS, working at WJLJ.  Jim was from Pontotoc, and a lot of people would mention him, but I knew nothing about him.  Then one day when I was digging around in the production studio I discovered THREE albums by him, all on RCA.  They were incredibly beautiful, but strangely enough I was forbidden to play them.  Hometown boy, major label, and it was obvious people were very proud of him.  Go figure.  Awhile later the boss' wife told me she had dated Jim in high school, so I figured that must have been the reason  Among his other accomplishments, he was a 3-year quarterback at Ole Miss.  At the time, he was the first and only, I don't know if that feat has been duplicated since.

Board footera