The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 11, 2021 7:09 pm  #1

Carole King, Todd Rundgren, Go-Go’s Lead List of Rock Hall Nominees

Carole King, Todd Rundgren, The Go-Go’s, the New York Dolls, and Tina Turner lead a group of 16 nominees for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s Class of 2021. The diverse list of candidates features seven female artists including Dionne Warwick, Kate Bush, Mary J. Blige, and Chaka Khan. Also nominated are Iron Maiden, Foo Fighters, Jay-Z, Devo, LL Cool J, Rage Against the Machine, and Fela Kuti. 
https://bestclassicbands.com/rock-hall-2021-nominees-2-10-21/

February 12, 2021 10:15 pm  #2

Re: Carole King, Todd Rundgren, Go-Go’s Lead List of Rock Hall Nominees

The fact that it took this long for Carole King to be nominated (unbelievable that she's not already in) demonstrates what a farce the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is.

February 13, 2021 11:03 pm  #3

alangee wrote:

The fact that it took this long for Carole King to be nominated (unbelievable that she's not already in) demonstrates what a farce the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is.

Even though she was previously inducted with Gerry Goffin as a songwriter in 1990, I completely agree. I think she should have been inducted as a performer at the same time, and it's incredible that this still hasn't happened 31 years later. But she is certainly in very good company ... I think a pretty impressive Hall of Fame could be put together consisting of artists who aren't in the current one. 

February 14, 2021 9:35 am  #4

Most of the songs referred to in the article below I was aware of, despite the title of the piece. But I have to say I didn't know about Don't Bring Me Down by the Animals. And the story surrounding it from Eric Burdon is a classic.

“I didn’t realize that it was a Goffin, King song until I was in a doctor’s office in Beverly Hills and Ms. King came in and sat next to me. I didn’t know it was her, I was just reading a magazine and she turned to me and said, ‘You know, I hated what you did to my song.’ I didn’t know what to say, so all I said was, ‘well, sorry.’ and then as she got up to go into the doctor’s office, she turned around and said, ‘but I got used to it.'” 

Songs You Didn’t Know Carole King Wrote

Board footera