The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 14, 2021 5:06 pm  #1

Motown Funk Brothers Documentary Available Free Online

If you've never seen the movie "Standing In The Shadows Of Motown," you now have no excuse. This absolutely terrific documentary on the Funk Brothers, who backed up the artists on all those classic Motown tunes, is online and available to watch for free. 

It's just under two hours and while I've seen it before, it's well worth a second look. (I believe there's a version of it on YouTube, but this is the full thing and in HD - although unfortunately there are commercial breaks in it. I guess that's the price of "free.")

And as bonus, while it's on the U.S. streaming service Tubi.com, you don't need a VPN to watch it in Canada. (To our friends in New Zealand, though, it appears you may be shut out without a VPN. Sorry.) These things tend to come and go as far as how long they're allowed to show it, so if this interests you, better to watch it sooner than later. It's well worth the time. 

Standing In The Shadows Of Motown

Last edited by aflem (February 14, 2021 5:13 pm)

February 16, 2021 2:03 am  #2

Re: Motown Funk Brothers Documentary Available Free Online

Thanks aflem.  Phenomenal documentary!!  I actually purchased the DVD soon after I saw it.  Very well done.  One of Berry Gordy's gold mines which he was VERY careful to protect.  Thanks for spreading the word.

February 16, 2021 8:44 am  #3

Re: Motown Funk Brothers Documentary Available Free Online

Nearly every Motown song begins with a catchy intro.  The second you hear it, you're reeled in and you want the whole thing.  To be able to do that to a listener...that's a gift.

Board footera