The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 4, 2021 2:46 pm  #1

The Music Documentary You Shouldn't Miss

I have to admit I haven't see anything but the trailer, but this looks great. The only problem is you'll have to subscribe to Amazon Prime or iTunes in North America to get it. It's the story of Bert Berns. Who was he? 

Well, for one thing he wrote a lot of great hits, including "Twist & Shout," "Hang On Sloopy," "Here Comes The Night," and "Piece Of My Heart." And when he wasn't writing, he was producing classics like "Brown Eyed Girl" and "Under The Boardwalk."

He formed Bang Records and signed then relative unknowns like Neil Diamond. 

The doc includes people who knew and worked with him, including Paul McCartney, Keith Richards and Van Morrison. And while it's by no means new (I think it was made in 2016) it tells the story of a musical genius who helped revolutionize the record business, but was gone way too soon at just 38 years of age. 

BANG! The Bert Berns Story’ Premieres This Month on On-Demand

The trailer below gives you a good idea of what to expect. The doc debuted on some platforms on March 2nd. As they used to say in the days of TV Guide, check your local listings.

Last edited by aflem (March 4, 2021 3:03 pm)

March 6, 2021 12:00 pm  #2

Re: The Music Documentary You Shouldn't Miss

don't know what the big deal now is, he's been well known about for decades. at least one book has been written by or about him, i'm pretty certain. anyone familiar with van morrison would be quite familiar with him for nearly half a century, no doubt, for starters. perhaps i'll look into it after ken burns' jazz series ends. 

though, if you aren't familiar with berns, he's indeed worth checking out for sure in any case..                   

Last edited by gopher (March 6, 2021 12:48 pm)

March 9, 2021 7:17 pm  #3

I got the dvd for Christmas and then my wife surprised me with the book that the documentary was based on, for my birthday 2 weeks later. I've watched the dvd a dozen times now. I can't get enough of it. I wish it was longer and wish it went on to tell the story of Ilene running the label for another 13 years after Bert passed. Great movie, great book, both essential. Each tells a part of the story that the other doesn't.

Tom Diehl

March 10, 2021 1:31 am  #4

I never got the connection of Bert Berns AKA Bert Russell until I researched it.  He is an amazing songwriter and very diverse in his styles.  Wrote many classics for some of the best.

Board footera