The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 28, 2021 2:35 pm  #1

Bernie Taupin Reveals Amazing Truth About Elton John

According to American Songwriter, famed lyricist Bernie Taupin can spend months writing the words to a single song. But it doesn't take his partner-in-crime quite that long to come up with the tune for it. In fact, the reality is a testament to Elton John's real talent. 

"It is true. It’s ridiculous. He has written four songs in a day sometimes. I put [the songs] in a folder. And just goes to the piano, puts the folder up, and sees what catches his eye. He’ll skim through it. I’m sure he looks at titles too. Sometimes he won’t even read through a lyric. He’ll just start."

And he usually comes up with something memorable in less than 15 minutes. Think of that next time you hear an Elton oldie on the radio. Pretty amazing.

Elton John Takes Less Than 15 Minutes Composing The Music To Taupin's Lyrics

Last edited by aflem (February 28, 2021 2:39 pm)

March 4, 2021 6:14 am  #2

Re: Bernie Taupin Reveals Amazing Truth About Elton John

And the beauty of this all is every song has its own place.  Not one sounds like the other.  To write that many different tunes is amazing.  

March 6, 2021 12:59 pm  #3

gee, didn't anyone see the movie?

March 7, 2021 9:10 am  #4

gopher wrote:

gee, didn't anyone see the movie?

Yes, I saw it...and your point is??

March 8, 2021 3:40 am  #5

It's me Karen wrote:

And the beauty of this all is every song has its own place.  Not one sounds like the other.  To write that many different tunes is amazing.  

Right on Karen.  Bottom Line:  he is truly one of the most diverse songwriters - every one is very different.  Only one other singer-songwriter might approach his diversity:  Billy Joel - VERY divergent, every one very different.

Board footera